JBN 2.1.4 and SMTP problems - PGP

This is a discussion on JBN 2.1.4 and SMTP problems - PGP ; I've seen a lot of discussion on this subject especially with LAN or cable connections. Now I think I have another facet of this problem. I had been having troubles getting PGP 6.5.8ckt builds from 06 to 09beta03 to run ...

  1. JBN 2.1.4 and SMTP problems

    I've seen a lot of discussion on this subject especially with LAN or
    cable connections. Now I think I have another facet of this problem.

    I had been having troubles getting PGP 6.5.8ckt builds from 06 to
    09beta03 to run a 150meg PGPdisk formatted in Fat32 to run on XP Pro
    SP2. I got lots of advice, tried them all, but now I'm running to my
    satisfaction PGP 6.5.8ckt Build:08. Build:09beta03 deleted the pgp.exe
    command line functions I need, so I backed up. First set of
    installations, after letting the uninstalls first remove the program, I
    followed the registry scrubbing advice, but the last few settled only on
    removing references to pgp*.* in the \Windows & sub-dirs.

    Have added the Panta mod (1-17-05)to JBN to get the SMTP authenticating
    squared away, but that didn't allow me to send. On the first attempt to
    send, the following message comes up:

    > 16:48 Pinetree: ERROR Connecting to Pinetree [smtp.myisp.net]
    > Invalid or unrecognized command

    On a second attempt to mail something from the Queue, this appears:

    > 16:51 2: ERROR Connecting to 2 [smtp.myisp.net]
    > Blocking operation in progress

    The JBN is run from within the PGPdisk which I keep up to date on two
    machines via the MS Briefcase and my LAN.

    Here's the catch. My other machine is running Win ME upgraded from 98SE
    and the SMTP works flawlessly. Both machines are running the same
    PGPdisk & JBN, but the Win ME machine has PGP 6.5.8ckt Build:06 on it.
    At this point, I don't believe the Panta mod was necessary for the
    operation in Win ME, but it isn't harming it. I just use that machine as
    a backup and use my laptop 95% of the time.

    Anyone see any hints in that? I have a strong suspicion its a Windows
    thing that I need to find and destroy ;-)

    TIA, George

    --
    The First Nation people call him "Walking Eagle" because he's so full of
    **** he can't fly anymore.

  2. Re: JBN 2.1.4 and SMTP problems

    In article <428FA4C3.2020304@NOSPAMexcite.com>, pyde_piper@NOSPAMexcite.com
    says...
    > I've seen a lot of discussion on this subject especially with LAN or
    > cable connections. Now I think I have another facet of this problem.
    >
    > I had been having troubles getting PGP 6.5.8ckt builds from 06 to
    > 09beta03 to run a 150meg PGPdisk formatted in Fat32 to run on XP Pro
    > SP2. I got lots of advice, tried them all, but now I'm running to my
    > satisfaction PGP 6.5.8ckt Build:08. Build:09beta03 deleted the pgp.exe
    > command line functions I need, so I backed up. First set of
    > installations, after letting the uninstalls first remove the program, I
    > followed the registry scrubbing advice, but the last few settled only on
    > removing references to pgp*.* in the \Windows & sub-dirs.
    >
    > Have added the Panta mod (1-17-05)to JBN to get the SMTP authenticating
    > squared away, but that didn't allow me to send. On the first attempt to
    > send, the following message comes up:
    >
    > > 16:48 Pinetree: ERROR Connecting to Pinetree [smtp.myisp.net]
    > > Invalid or unrecognized command

    > On a second attempt to mail something from the Queue, this appears:
    >
    > > 16:51 2: ERROR Connecting to 2 [smtp.myisp.net]
    > > Blocking operation in progress

    > The JBN is run from within the PGPdisk which I keep up to date on two
    > machines via the MS Briefcase and my LAN.
    >
    > Here's the catch. My other machine is running Win ME upgraded from 98SE
    > and the SMTP works flawlessly. Both machines are running the same
    > PGPdisk & JBN, but the Win ME machine has PGP 6.5.8ckt Build:06 on it.
    > At this point, I don't believe the Panta mod was necessary for the
    > operation in Win ME, but it isn't harming it. I just use that machine as
    > a backup and use my laptop 95% of the time.
    >
    > Anyone see any hints in that? I have a strong suspicion its a Windows
    > thing that I need to find and destroy ;-)
    >
    > TIA, George

    George, you can d/l the 09b3 PGP Command line (PGP.exe) from
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/fixes.htm#ckt-cmd
    Go way down near the bottom of the page.
    Also there is an uninstaller (ckt-un.zp) there.
    Just d/l both and put them in the 09b3 folder.
    Casey

+ Reply to Thread