PGP 9 for Mac - PGP

This is a discussion on PGP 9 for Mac - PGP ; PGP 9 for the Mac is a bug-ridden piece of ****....

  1. PGP 9 for Mac

    PGP 9 for the Mac is a bug-ridden piece of ****.

  2. Re: PGP 9 for Mac

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 15:03:03 +0200, in article
    <150520051503031848%grump@everyone.com>, TheGrump
    wrote:

    >PGP 9 for the Mac is a bug-ridden piece of ****.

    LOL. Some people are saying the same thing about PGP 9 for Windows too

  3. Re: PGP 9 for Mac

    In article , John Smith
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 May 2005 15:03:03 +0200, in article
    > <150520051503031848%grump@everyone.com>, TheGrump
    > wrote:
    >
    > >PGP 9 for the Mac is a bug-ridden piece of ****.

    > LOL. Some people are saying the same thing about PGP 9 for Windows too

    Bleedin' edge Macheads are snookered. You need PGP 9 to run under
    Tiger. (The latest OS X 10.4)

    I'm happy to fork over my upgrade fee for PGP 9, but I would be even
    happier if it had not already wiped my address book, encrypted 'random'
    [1] files instead of the one from my desktop I asked it to encrypt,
    filled my console log with memory leak messages, silently become
    unresponsive and introduced one of the most broken UIs for any Mac
    application I have ever seen in my life. It walks away with no window
    in focus; it then does not respond to cmd-~. Its services facilities
    seem to be phase-of-moon dependent. Cmd-F is charmingly erratic. There
    is no drop target for encrypting files by dragging. Likewise decrypting
    or signing or verifying.
    I am at least grateful that there is a method to avoid that ghastly
    mail interception mess. What on earth led them to think that you might
    want to hold all your sensitive mail decrypted?

    1. It chose a previously selected file in a finder window that did not
    have focus.

    There is a hell of a lot to fix before it goes final. Oops, it has gone
    final. Yikes!
    Maybe it has not. It is supposed to tell me and it hasn't.
    Ho hum.

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  4. Re: PGP 9 for Mac

    TheGrump wrote
    > PGP 9 for the Mac is a bug-ridden piece of ****.

    Don't know if this applies just to PGP Mac or all PGP 9, but here goes....

    When you use PGP on a machine at work, say, where you don't have total
    control over the machine, it's obviously important to keep your private key
    separate. On PGP 8 I used to have it on a CD-
    ROM which I'd insert as and when necessary.

    But PGP 9 seems to keep the private keys all wrapped up inside itself. Where
    does it keep them, and can I keep them separate?

    (I have the option of backing up my keys to the 'keyring folder'; where and
    what is that in PGP 9?)

    Martin S Taylor

  5. Re: PGP 9 for Mac

    In article <0001HW.BEEC0BDE0047BB9DF0407550@news.eclipse.co.uk>, Martin
    S Taylor wrote:

    > But PGP 9 seems to keep the private keys all wrapped up inside itself. Where
    > does it keep them, and can I keep them separate?
    >
    > (I have the option of backing up my keys to the 'keyring folder'; where and
    > what is that in PGP 9?)

    ~/Library/Keychains/

    I have not yet tried in 9, but previously, if they were missing, it
    would ask, and you could supply a different location.

    ps. Download 9.0.2 It fixes the failure to encrypt messages to your
    'master' key when sending via Mail v.2

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  6. Re: PGP 9 for Mac

    Elliott Roper wrote
    > I have not yet tried in 9, but previously, if they were missing, it
    > would ask, and you could supply a different location.

    Yes, I know. It appears to have changed in 9,

    > ps. Download 9.0.2 It fixes the failure to encrypt messages to your
    > 'master' key when sending via Mail v.2

    9.0.1 is the latest version, according to Update. Are you using PGP Desktop?

    MST

  7. Re: PGP 9 for Mac

    In article <0001HW.BEEEB5A1001FDCAEF0284550@news-text.dsl.pipex.com>,
    Martin S Taylor wrote:

    > Elliott Roper wrote
    > > I have not yet tried in 9, but previously, if they were missing, it
    > > would ask, and you could supply a different location.

    > Yes, I know. It appears to have changed in 9

    Hmm. That's (~/Library/Keychains) where they are here. Spotlight for
    pgp private keys?

    > > ps. Download 9.0.2 It fixes the failure to encrypt messages to your
    > > 'master' key when sending via Mail v.2

    > 9.0.1 is the latest version, according to Update. Are you using PGP Desktop?

    Yes, 9.0.2 is a beta. The Mac version is starting to look good again.
    Still not up to 8 if you use it without the proxy mess, but it is
    close.
    http://pgp.com/downloads/beta/index.html

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

  8. Re: PGP 9 for Mac

    Elliott Roper wrote
    >> Yes, I know. It appears to have changed in 9

    > Hmm. That's (~/Library/Keychains) where they are here. Spotlight for
    > pgp private keys?

    Got it! For some reason PGP 9 had found and updated an old version in a
    folder called PGP 8.

    > Yes, 9.0.2 is a beta. The Mac version is starting to look good again.
    > Still not up to 8 if you use it without the proxy mess, but it is
    > close.

    All downloaded and running nicely. Can't get the messaging service to work at
    all (because I'm using a router, and behind firewalls?) but it works at least
    as well as v8.

    MST

  9. Re: PGP 9 for Mac

    Martin S Taylor wrote:

    > Elliott Roper wrote
    > >> Yes, I know. It appears to have changed in 9

    > > Hmm. That's (~/Library/Keychains) where they are here. Spotlight for
    > > pgp private keys?

    > Got it! For some reason PGP 9 had found and updated an old version in a
    > folder called PGP 8.
    >
    > > Yes, 9.0.2 is a beta. The Mac version is starting to look good again.
    > > Still not up to 8 if you use it without the proxy mess, but it is
    > > close.

    > All downloaded and running nicely. Can't get the messaging service to work at
    > all (because I'm using a router, and behind firewalls?) but it works at least
    > as well as v8.
    >
    > MST

    The downside I have seen with 9 is that the PGP decrypt-verify service
    (cmd-5) doesn't use it's own viewer window now, when decrypting a
    non-editable window (like a usenet post in MacSoup)

    Andy

  10. Re: PGP 9 for Mac

    In article <1gz7tio.8psnfbv95z9cN%andy@templeman.org.uk>, Andrew
    Templeman wrote:

    > The downside I have seen with 9 is that the PGP decrypt-verify service
    > (cmd-5) doesn't use it's own viewer window now, when decrypting a
    > non-editable window (like a usenet post in MacSoup)

    Yep. I forgot about that mess. Also it sometimes fails to bring the
    keys window to the front and give it focus.

    Decrypting the clipboard is a sort-of workaround. Ugly hack.
    Still, it is getting much better than the first 9.0 and I guess Mac
    users who don't want the proxy are not their highest priority.

    --
    To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
    PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

+ Reply to Thread