PGP freeware is history with v9? - PGP

This is a discussion on PGP freeware is history with v9? - PGP ; Any link to the old freeware distribution on pgp.com seems to point in the direction of a 30-day trial of v9. Does this suggest that the historic policy finally died?...

  1. PGP freeware is history with v9?

    Any link to the old freeware distribution on pgp.com seems to point in the
    direction of a 30-day trial of v9.

    Does this suggest that the historic policy finally died?

  2. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

  3. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

    "Tom McCune" wrote in message
    newsk0ge.14719$eU.8190@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    > The word from PGP Corp is that the 30 day Trial becomes what would be
    > expected of Freeware after the 30 days of use. It will then do the
    > Current
    > Window usage, etc., but not Whole Disk Encryption, PGP Virtual Disk
    > (PGPdisk), or PGP Messaging (what is now used instead of plug-ins).

    Their web page says "After the expiration of the trial, you will no longer
    be able to encrypt messages..." This is like no Outlook plug-in, but the
    same level of functionality as the old PGPMail tool?

  4. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

  5. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

    I agree that Gnupg is an excellent replacement for PGP freeware,
    though I do not agree that $69 us is "highway robbery". The new
    functionality PGPzip, PGPDisk and PGPWholeDisk are easily worth
    $20 each on their own.

    Inasmuch, isn't dropping 8.1 for Gnupg in total because your
    pissed at the 9.1 packaging kinda like "cutting off your nose to
    spite your face"?

    - - -----NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE-------------------
    Read the users manual and see what V9 really is before shutting
    down a cutting edge program in security and privacy.
    - - -----End--------------------------------------

    Bob Henson wrote:

    > Tom McCune wrote:
    >
    >>"Dick Watson"

    wrote in
    >>news:vFWfe.269$OU1.96@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink .net:

    to point in

    >>The word from PGP Corp is that the 30 day Trial becomes what

    would be
    >>expected of Freeware after the 30 days of use. It will then

    do the Current
    >>Window usage, etc., but not Whole Disk Encryption, PGP Virtual

    Disk
    >>(PGPdisk), or PGP Messaging (what is now used instead of plug-

    ins).

    > They didn't leave us a fat lot. Especially after I not long

    back paid
    > for 8.1, and then helped beta test 9.0, I reckon 47 for the

    home
    > version is highway robbery - and that's supposed to be a

    special offer,
    > for Heaven's sake! Anyway, my response should be plain from

    the message.

    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

  6. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

  7. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

  8. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

    Bob Henson writes:

    > Not for me - I use Thunderbird. 8.1 can only be used in "current window"
    > mode, so is not a lot of use for normal use. Even using Outlook, the plug-in
    > doesn't work (deliberately, admittedly) if you also use X.509 certificates -
    > it can't co-exist with S/Mime. PGP v9 is the only one that is worth using
    > with Thunderbird, as it is email program independent and can live with
    > S/Mime - but the latest version is still a beta as far as I'm concerned, and
    > has some significant flaws (continually running the wizard to re-install an
    > account which is already set up, for example).

    The Bat! has fully integrated support for PGP encryption.

    > PKZIP will encrypt Zips if I want to do so ...

    PKZIP encryption is very poor.

  9. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    > PKZIP encryption is very poor.

    You can always just zip it normally and encrypt it in a separate
    operation. With GPGee you can do that through windows explorer.

  10. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

    Kurt Fitzner (kfitzner at excelcia period org) writes:

    > You can always just zip it normally and encrypt it in a separate
    > operation.

    It may be more secure to simply encrypt it directly.

  11. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

    Bob Henson wrote:

  12. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

  13. Re: PGP freeware is history with v9?

+ Reply to Thread