PGPdisk and XP - PGP

This is a discussion on PGPdisk and XP - PGP ; I used 6.5.8ckt-Build:06 previously with 98SE and WinME flawlessly to create and use PGPdisks. Now I'm trying to use the same version on my XP laptop and crash everytime. Is there a known problem using that version with XP? if ...

  1. PGPdisk and XP

    I used 6.5.8ckt-Build:06 previously with 98SE and WinME flawlessly to
    create and use PGPdisks. Now I'm trying to use the same version on my XP
    laptop and crash everytime. Is there a known problem using that version
    with XP?

    if so, then is there a freeware version of PGPdisk that is compatible
    with XP?

    Thanks, George

  2. Re: PGPdisk and XP

  3. Re: PGPdisk and XP

    George wrote:
    > I used 6.5.8ckt-Build:06 previously with 98SE and WinME flawlessly to

    > create and use PGPdisks. Now I'm trying to use the same version on my

    XP
    > laptop and crash everytime. Is there a known problem using that

    version
    > with XP?
    >
    > if so, then is there a freeware version of PGPdisk that is compatible

    > with XP?
    >
    > Thanks, George

    Dear George

    Don't be discouraged by the build 6. On XP, Imad has crafted
    another version, build 9 beta 3, for this. However, you have
    to install build 8 and restart. Then install build 9 beta 3,
    a mini installer, on top. Please consult

    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main-nf.htm

    for further information.

    Toedsit

  4. Re: PGPdisk and XP

  5. Re: PGPdisk and XP

    In article , pyde_piper@excite.com
    says...
    > I used 6.5.8ckt-Build:06 previously with 98SE and WinME flawlessly to
    > create and use PGPdisks. Now I'm trying to use the same version on my XP
    > laptop and crash everytime. Is there a known problem using that version
    > with XP?
    >
    > if so, then is there a freeware version of PGPdisk that is compatible
    > with XP?
    >
    > Thanks, George

    Hi George. Here is some info. on installing PGP 658ckt09beta3
    on XP. You might find this useful.
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/fixes.htm
    casey

  6. Re: PGPdisk and XP

    In article ,
    Casey@notspecified.net says...
    > In article , pyde_piper@excite.com
    > says...
    > > I used 6.5.8ckt-Build:06 previously with 98SE and WinME flawlessly to
    > > create and use PGPdisks. Now I'm trying to use the same version on my XP
    > > laptop and crash everytime. Is there a known problem using that version
    > > with XP?
    > >
    > > if so, then is there a freeware version of PGPdisk that is compatible
    > > with XP?
    > >
    > > Thanks, George
    > >

    > Hi George. Here is some info. on installing PGP 658ckt09beta3
    > on XP. You might find this useful.
    > https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/fixes.htm
    > casey

    p.s. Scroll way down and find section titled:
    CKT-UN: PGP6.5.8cktbuild09 beta Uninstall.

  7. Re: PGPdisk and XP

    George wrote:
    > I used 6.5.8ckt-Build:06 previously with 98SE and WinME flawlessly to
    > create and use PGPdisks. Now I'm trying to use the same version on my XP
    > laptop and crash everytime. Is there a known problem using that version
    > with XP?
    >
    > if so, then is there a freeware version of PGPdisk that is compatible
    > with XP?
    >
    > Thanks, George

    Thanks for the help and suggestions, but my system is still locking up
    whenever I try to open an old PGPdisk file or create a new on.
    I uninstalled the 6.5.8ckt-build:06 and then installed
    6.5.8ckt-build:08. After that, I installed 6.5.8ckt-build:09beta03,
    which uninstalls build:08 during the process. I did note that when I
    opened up PGPkeys and looked at About, it said that I had build:09beta02
    and not beta03 installed. However, in the next process of uninstalling
    the beta03 build, it said that it was indeed build:09beta03.

    I went to the sites suggested, waded through copious information,
    downloaded the uninstallers for Build:09beta03, but didn't do any
    registry scrubbing. All the other functions work, but not PGPdisk.

    Just in case it makes any diff, my os is XP Professional ver. 5.1.2600
    Service Pack 2 Build 2600.

    TIA for any other help.

  8. Re: PGPdisk and XP

  9. Re: PGPdisk and XP

    Hi, George

    Please consult the following procedures
    taken from Imad Faiad's Readme file:

    For proper installation please apply the following instructions
    carefully:-
    1) Un-install whatever build of PGP you have.
    2) Re-boot.
    3) Using Regedit navigate to this key:

    For Windows 9x/Me machines:-
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SessionManager\KnownDLLs]

    For Windows NT/2K/XP machines:-
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
    Manager\KnownDLLs]

    4) Should you find any values pertaining to PGP under the above key
    please delete them, otherwise proceeds to step 6.
    5) Re-boot.
    6) Delete, if any, PGP*.* in your windows or windows system directory.
    7) Install Build 07.
    8) Re-boot.

    You can replace the build 07 with build
    08. Once restarted, install build 9 beta
    3 on top.

    Toedsit

  10. Re: PGPdisk and XP

    baybor...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, George
    >
    > Please consult the following procedures
    > taken from Imad Faiad's Readme file:
    >
    > For proper installation please apply the following instructions
    > carefully:-
    > 1) Un-install whatever build of PGP you have.
    > 2) Re-boot.
    > 3) Using Regedit navigate to this key:
    >
    > For Windows 9x/Me machines:-

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SessionManager\KnownDLLs]

    > For Windows NT/2K/XP machines:-
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
    > Manager\KnownDLLs]
    >
    > 4) Should you find any values pertaining to PGP under the above key
    > please delete them, otherwise proceeds to step 6.
    > 5) Re-boot.
    > 6) Delete, if any, PGP*.* in your windows or windows system

    directory.
    > 7) Install Build 07.
    > 8) Re-boot.
    >

    > You can replace the build 07 with build
    > 08. Once restarted, install build 9 beta
    > 3 on top.
    >
    > Toedsit

    Hi, George

    Under Windows XP, you must have
    administratitve rights (1), and
    disable System Restore (2). Otherwise,
    your system will have remains of
    PGP files belonging to different
    versions.

    Good luck.
    Toedsit

  11. Re: PGPdisk and XP

    bayboro85@gmail.com wrote:
    > baybor...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, George
    >>
    >>Please consult the following procedures
    >>taken from Imad Faiad's Readme file:
    >>
    >>For proper installation please apply the following instructions
    >>carefully:-
    >> 1) Un-install whatever build of PGP you have.
    >> 2) Re-boot.
    >> 3) Using Regedit navigate to this key:
    >>
    >> For Windows 9x/Me machines:-
    >>

    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SessionManager\KnownDLLs]
    >
    >> For Windows NT/2K/XP machines:-
    >>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
    >>Manager\KnownDLLs]
    >>
    >> 4) Should you find any values pertaining to PGP under the above key
    >> please delete them, otherwise proceeds to step 6.
    >> 5) Re-boot.
    >> 6) Delete, if any, PGP*.* in your windows or windows system

    > directory.
    >
    >> 7) Install Build 07.
    >> 8) Re-boot.
    >>

    >>You can replace the build 07 with build
    >>08. Once restarted, install build 9 beta
    >>3 on top.
    >>
    >>Toedsit

    > Hi, George
    >
    > Under Windows XP, you must have
    > administratitve rights (1), and
    > disable System Restore (2). Otherwise,
    > your system will have remains of
    > PGP files belonging to different
    > versions.
    >
    > Good luck.
    > Toedsit

    I didn't find any .dll's at the reg point you mentioned, deleted all
    pgp*.* from all c:\windows directories and sub-directories, rebooted
    between each step, (restore has been off for days now), removed Spyware
    and Ad-aware just in case, went back and installed Build:06, (haven't
    tried build:07 as suggested, but am this next time) installed Build:08
    and then Build:09 beta 03. 09 beta 03 removes the command line functions
    which disables all the batch files calling pgp.exe.

    I'm going to go back and do this all one more time, this time including
    build:07 and I have tried using Control Panel for uninstalls, but this
    last time, let the next version uninstall the previous. At this point,
    PGPdisk isn't as important as PGP.exe for command line functions.

    The endless hours spent trying to make things work in a Windows
    environment is a testimony to my perseverance or my stupidity! Geesh!

    Thanks to all who tried and I will let you know if I ever get it to work
    on my machine. Did I mention it was a P4 on a Toshiba A70 Satelite
    laptop, if that makes any difference?

    quietly contemplating re-partitioning my hard drive to run 98SE, George

  12. Re: PGPdisk and XP

    Wow i appreciate your persistence George but why don't you just delete all
    of it and just install one vesion instead of the 2 or 3 that you're trying
    to do?

    --
    Best Wishes from Martin

    So many questions, so few answers.

    PGP Key ID, 0x581E4CE1

  13. Re: PGPdisk and XP

    Martin wrote:
    > Wow i appreciate your persistence George but why don't you just delete
    > all of it and just install one vesion instead of the 2 or 3 that you're
    > trying to do?

    I have had troubles ever since I got my laptop with XP Pro. But to
    answer your question, I am just following the instructions I received in
    answer to the problem that I was already having with 6.5.8ckt-build:06.
    Actually, the PGPdisk portion of that build worked a couple of times and
    then began hanging. So, everybody has pointed me to 09beta03.

    I've had a little luck today actually getting PGPdisk to run and mount
    successfully. Except not every time. So, I'm trying to mount the disk
    before I run anything else, but the outcome remains unpredictable.
    Currently running build:09beta03, but like I said, installing it removed
    the command line program (when I installed it, the command line option
    was checked but the size was listed as 0) Wondering if there is a
    command line program to go with 09beta03.

    Thanks for listening.

+ Reply to Thread