Keyid As Last Part of Fingerprint? - PGP

This is a discussion on Keyid As Last Part of Fingerprint? - PGP ; PGP 6.5.8ckt08 running on Windows98. I just generated a new 2048-bit RSA v4 key pair and noticed something that seems odd to me. When I go into PGPkeys, the last eight hex digits of the fingerprint are the same as ...

  1. Keyid As Last Part of Fingerprint?

    PGP 6.5.8ckt08 running on Windows98.

    I just generated a new 2048-bit RSA v4 key pair and noticed
    something that seems odd to me. When I go into PGPkeys, the last eight
    hex digits of the fingerprint are the same as the keyid (eight hex
    digits). Having the keyid digits the same as part of the fingerprint
    seems peculiar to me and is not the case with two old RSA v3 keys I have
    on my keyring. I use PGP with one correspondent but am not a PGP heavy.
    Is this a fluke, or have I done something wrong? Thanks.

    --
    Paul O. Bartlett

  2. Re: Keyid As Last Part of Fingerprint?

    Paul O. Bartlett wrote:
    > PGP 6.5.8ckt08 running on Windows98.
    >
    > I just generated a new 2048-bit RSA v4 key pair and noticed
    > something that seems odd to me. When I go into PGPkeys, the last eight
    > hex digits of the fingerprint are the same as the keyid (eight hex
    > digits). Having the keyid digits the same as part of the fingerprint
    > seems peculiar to me and is not the case with two old RSA v3 keys I have
    > on my keyring. I use PGP with one correspondent but am not a PGP heavy.
    > Is this a fluke, or have I done something wrong? Thanks.

    That's a feature of v4. It's supposed to be that way.

    David

  3. Re: Keyid As Last Part of Fingerprint?

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, David Shaw wrote:

    > Paul O. Bartlett wrote:
    >> PGP 6.5.8ckt08 running on Windows98.
    >>
    >> I just generated a new 2048-bit RSA v4 key pair and noticed
    >> something that seems odd to me. When I go into PGPkeys, the last eight
    >> hex digits of the fingerprint are the same as the keyid (eight hex
    >> digits). Having the keyid digits the same as part of the fingerprint
    >> seems peculiar to me and is not the case with two old RSA v3 keys I have
    >> on my keyring. I use PGP with one correspondent but am not a PGP heavy.
    >> Is this a fluke, or have I done something wrong? Thanks.

    > That's a feature of v4. It's supposed to be that way.

    I did not know that, so I have learned something. Thank you.

    --
    Paul O. Bartlett

+ Reply to Thread