PGP disk and system restore - PGP

This is a discussion on PGP disk and system restore - PGP ; Hi all I'm running PGP disk 6.0.2 on a XP home machine. And I'm perfectly happy with the encryption functionality. However I have found that whenever a virtual disk is mounted, the XP System Restore function crashes and erases all ...

  1. PGP disk and system restore

    Hi all
    I'm running PGP disk 6.0.2 on a XP home machine.
    And I'm perfectly happy with the encryption functionality.
    However I have found that whenever a virtual disk is mounted, the XP
    System Restore function crashes and erases all previous restore points. It
    seems that system restore tries to monitor the mounted volume (although it
    is only set up to monitor the C drive) and when this fails it just shuts
    off.
    This is very annoying and I would appreciate any tip for a workaround, or
    a suggestion for another program with a similar function as PGP disk.

  2. Re: PGP disk and system restore

    nisseviking wrote:

    > I'm running PGP disk 6.0.2 on a XP home machine.

    [...]

    > a suggestion for another program with a similar function as PGP disk.

    try pgp 8.1 with pgpdisk

    am running it at home on xp pro, with no problems when mounting the
    disks at startup, or any other time

    all restore points are fine,

    *but*

    have not tried 'creating' a restore point while a pgp disk was mounted,
    (theoretically useful when planning to install a new program directly
    into the mounted disk,
    and wanting a restore point backup just prior to installation)

    would suggest unmounting all disks before creating a restore point,
    and also,
    when creating a disk to be mounted with a drive letter,
    to choose 'late' letters of the alphabet,
    so that any usb drives or zip drives not being used at the time, do not
    later get their drive letters conflicted after the disk is mounted.

    vedaal

  3. Re: PGP disk and system restore

    Thanks Vedaal
    Seems like I've got to upgrade to 8.1 then

    Nisseviking

+ Reply to Thread