Trying to use imported keys - PGP

This is a discussion on Trying to use imported keys - PGP ; Guys, I had to format my machine, after doing this and installing pgp again, I would like to use a keyfile that I exported. So what I did is went into the PGP Keys section and imported the key. There ...

  1. Trying to use imported keys

    Guys,

    I had to format my machine, after doing this and installing pgp again,
    I would like to use a keyfile that I exported.

    So what I did is went into the PGP Keys section and imported the key.

    There are two problems that I am having.

    First is that the key file I have I cannot set as a default key. Right
    clicking the key and shows the 'set as defauly key' greyed out.

    Secondly if I double click on an old file that I have encrypted with
    the key it doesn't let me unencrypt the file.

    And lastly the email address I have on the key is not current any more
    how do I change that?

    I know that this is possible, but for the life of me I cannot remember
    how to do this.

    Any help would be greatfully appreciated. I have searched the archives
    and no joys.

    Thanks,

    Rav

  2. Re: Trying to use imported keys

  3. Re: Trying to use imported keys

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:34:11 GMT, Tom McCune
    wrote:

    >no@no.com wrote in news42321tth188tsseke61iejjdk6sqaev6b@4ax.com:
    >
    >> Guys,
    >>
    >> I had to format my machine, after doing this and installing pgp
    >> again, I would like to use a keyfile that I exported.
    >>
    >> So what I did is went into the PGP Keys section and imported the
    >> key.
    >>
    >> There are two problems that I am having.
    >>
    >> First is that the key file I have I cannot set as a default key.
    >> Right clicking the key and shows the 'set as defauly key' greyed
    >> out.
    >>
    >> Secondly if I double click on an old file that I have encrypted
    >> with the key it doesn't let me unencrypt the file.

    >Both of the above make it sound like you do not have the private key.
    > If you imported from an exported key, it is likely that you did not
    >place the needed check mark for including the private key when you
    >did the key export.
    >
    >What is the error message you receive?
    >

    >> And lastly the email address I have on the key is not current any
    >> more how do I change that?
    >>
    >> I know that this is possible, but for the life of me I cannot
    >> remember how to do this.

    >See http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#Address

    Thanks for that. You were absolutely right about not having the
    private key. Luckily I had a backup on a generic backup CD from a few
    years back.

    It's all sorted now.

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,

  4. Re: Trying to use imported keys

+ Reply to Thread