PGP 8.1 - PGP

This is a discussion on PGP 8.1 - PGP ; Hi I am trying to use PGP 8.1 the freeware version. I have my friends public keys and I imported them to my keyrings. PGP keys>>import and then chose the file he sent by email that I saved to the ...

  1. PGP 8.1

    Hi
    I am trying to use PGP 8.1 the freeware version. I have my friends public
    keys and I imported them to my keyrings. PGP keys>>import and then chose the
    file he sent by email that I saved to the desk top. I am not sure his public
    key is on the keyserver so how do I use it to encrypt messages manually. If
    I use the encrypt button and sign buttons in outlook express it connects to
    the pgp servers at pgp.com and europeservers. pgp.com but it comes back with
    a select recipients list. Since he is not on the server I dont know how to
    encrypt the message at this point.

    Also since all your email address in public key at a keyserver doesnt that
    give a spammer opportunity to use your email address?

    Is it just from that list of recipients that you can send in the free
    version? Or can you just use any of those keys listed and send to the person
    you want to? What I am trying to say is I have another friend who has a
    bunch of keys I imported so when I click on encrypt in outlook express all
    the imported keys are there do I have to send to one of the addys he has
    associated with the key or just send a message to the address for him and he
    will be able to decrypt it.
    Keheikev

  2. Re: PGP 8.1

    Also when I try to drag the recipients into the list it wants a pay version.
    Does the freeware version work at all?
    Kevin
    "Keheikev" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am trying to use PGP 8.1 the freeware version. I have my friends public
    > keys and I imported them to my keyrings. PGP keys>>import and then chose
    > the file he sent by email that I saved to the desk top. I am not sure his
    > public key is on the keyserver so how do I use it to encrypt messages
    > manually. If I use the encrypt button and sign buttons in outlook express
    > it connects to the pgp servers at pgp.com and europeservers. pgp.com but
    > it comes back with a select recipients list. Since he is not on the server
    > I dont know how to encrypt the message at this point.
    >
    > Also since all your email address in public key at a keyserver doesnt that
    > give a spammer opportunity to use your email address?
    >
    > Is it just from that list of recipients that you can send in the free
    > version? Or can you just use any of those keys listed and send to the
    > person you want to? What I am trying to say is I have another friend who
    > has a bunch of keys I imported so when I click on encrypt in outlook
    > express all the imported keys are there do I have to send to one of the
    > addys he has associated with the key or just send a message to the address
    > for him and he will be able to decrypt it.
    > Keheikev

  3. Re: PGP 8.1

    "Keheikev" wrote in

    > Hi
    > I am trying to use PGP 8.1 the freeware version. I have my friends
    > public keys and I imported them to my keyrings. PGP keys>>import
    > and then chose the file he sent by email that I saved to the desk
    > top. I am not sure his public key is on the keyserver so how do I
    > use it to encrypt messages manually. If I use the encrypt button
    > and sign
    > buttons in outlook express it connects to the pgp servers at
    > pgp.com and europeservers. pgp.com but it comes back with a select
    > recipients list. Since he is not on the server I dont know how to
    > encrypt the message at this point.
    >
    > Also since all your email address in public key at a keyserver
    > doesnt that give a spammer opportunity to use your email address?
    >
    > Is it just from that list of recipients that you can send in the
    > free version? Or can you just use any of those keys listed and
    > send to the person you want to? What I am trying to say is I have
    > another friend who has a bunch of keys I imported so when I click
    > on encrypt in
    > outlook express all the imported keys are there do I have to send
    > to one of the addys he has associated with the key or just send a
    > message to the address for him and he will be able to decrypt it.
    > Keheikev

    There is no indication that email addresses are harvested from
    keyservers for spamming. Apparently, it isn't worth the hassle it
    would require to recieve addresses of people who are unlikely to
    respond to the spamm anyway.

    The plug-ins should not have been installed for the Freeware. You
    may want to rerun the install file to remove them - or just don't use
    them.

    I think the following links will help:

    http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#UseCurrent

    http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#Disable

    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www...8fw/pgp8fw.htm

  4. Re: PGP 8.1

    Thanks Tom I will have a look.
    Kevin

  5. Re: PGP 8.1

    "Tom McCune" wrote in message

    > "Keheikev" wrote in

    [OP's stuff delted]

    > I think the following links will help:
    >
    > http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#UseCurrent
    >
    > http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#Disable
    >
    > https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www...8fw/pgp8fw.htm

    I am not the OP but as a complete newbie to PGP I struggled
    for a couple of hours trying to use the freeware PGP 8.1 and pretty
    much decided it was useless and you had buy it. Your links above
    especially the third one cleared it all up. Many thanks!

    Jim Buddenhagen

    [rest deleted]

  6. Re: PGP 8.1

    "James Buddenhagen" wrote in news:N0wUd.9113$Ba3.2766
    @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    >> I think the following links will help:
    >>
    >> http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#UseCurrent
    >>
    >> http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#Disable
    >>
    >> https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www...8fw/pgp8fw.htm

    > I am not the OP but as a complete newbie to PGP I struggled
    > for a couple of hours trying to use the freeware PGP 8.1 and pretty
    > much decided it was useless and you had buy it. Your links above
    > especially the third one cleared it all up. Many thanks!

    You are welcome - glad to hear they helped.

    --
    Tom McCune