Why is GPG pausing so long after passphrase failure? - PGP

This is a discussion on Why is GPG pausing so long after passphrase failure? - PGP ; I am using gpg on a command line to auto decrypt, echo passphrase | gpg --passphrase-fd 0 --no-greeting --batch --no-tty --output output --decrypt When the passphrase is invalid, there is about a 10 second pause before gpg exits and the ...

  1. Why is GPG pausing so long after passphrase failure?

    I am using gpg on a command line to auto decrypt,
    echo passphrase | gpg --passphrase-fd 0 --no-greeting --batch --no-tty
    --output output --decrypt

    When the passphrase is invalid, there is about a 10 second pause before
    gpg exits and the next attempt can be made.

    What is this pause, and how can it be eliminated? The files are about
    500mb in size.

    Thanks..

  2. Re: Why is GPG pausing so long after passphrase failure?

  3. Re: Why is GPG pausing so long after passphrase failure?

    On 31 Dec 2004 18:46:02 GMT, No Reply wrote:

    >When the passphrase is invalid, there is about a 10 second pause before
    >gpg exits and the next attempt can be made.

    Usually (good) programs which use password authentication adds a delay
    to extend the minimize the risk in an event of a brute force attack.
    It takes much longer to brute force with a delay added.

    Best regards

    Stig Norre

    System Consultant
    IBM Certified Technical Solutions Expert
    http://www.at400.dk

+ Reply to Thread