PGP from USB flash drive - PGP

This is a discussion on PGP from USB flash drive - PGP ; I want to install PGP 8.1 on my USB flash drive so that when I travel and use public PC I will be able to use PGPDisk on my USB drive. But PGP 8.1 detects installation om my PC and ...

  1. PGP from USB flash drive

    I want to install PGP 8.1 on my USB flash drive so that when I travel
    and use public PC I will be able to use PGPDisk on my USB drive. But
    PGP 8.1 detects installation om my PC and does not allow to install PGP
    on USB flash drive. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

  2. Re: PGP from USB flash drive

  3. Re: PGP from USB flash drive

    "mich" wrote:

    > I want to install PGP 8.1 on my USB flash drive so that when I travel
    > and use public PC I will be able to use PGPDisk on my USB drive.

    I don't think that is possible - PGP requires to run a service on the
    machine.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Support the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide: http://www.dhmo.org

  4. Re: PGP from USB flash drive

  5. Re: PGP from USB flash drive

    Tom McCune wrote:
    > "mich" wrote in
    > news:1104217173.238895.138590@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com:
    >
    > > I want to install PGP 8.1 on my USB flash drive so that when I
    > > travel and use public PC I will be able to use PGPDisk on my USB
    > > drive.

    > I agree with the others that this will not work. My report on
    > looking at this with earlier PGP versions:
    > http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#WithoutInstall
    > Because of PGP 8.x running as a service, this is even less likely to
    > work than the versions I tested.

    it was originally thought that gnupg couldn't be run from a floppy,
    becuase of some windows processes that were needed

    Maxine Brandt thought up away around this:
    http://www.torduninja.tk/
    "by running the Windows command processor, command.com (all Windows
    versions) or cmd.exe (2000 and XP) from the floppy"

    as the usb drive is large enough,
    maybe it might be possible to copy enough of the windows system files
    to the usb,
    that pgp _might_ be able to run
    [could need considerable tweaking to accomplish,
    but not inherently impossible]

    [don't have a usb drive yet ;-(
    but think it might be an interesting project for the new year... ;-)]

    if someone knows why it would 'for sure' be _impossible_
    please post

    tia,

    vedaal

+ Reply to Thread