Summary of PGP Situation - PGP

This is a discussion on Summary of PGP Situation - PGP ; I recently submitted a posting about the current situation of PGP and these are some of the findings. First of all, If you need to ask PGP questions, don't even bother going to the PGP newsgroups, as nobody hangs around ...

  1. Summary of PGP Situation

    I recently submitted a posting about the current situation
    of PGP and these are some of the findings.

    First of all, If you need to ask PGP questions, don't even
    bother going to the PGP newsgroups, as nobody hangs around there
    anymore.The real experts are here in comp.os.linux.security.

    My concern most specifically had to do with dealing with
    PGP files programatically, using some SDK. There are
    a few of those out there.

    The PGPsdk seems to have gone the commercial route entirely
    and the OSS distribution is incomplete and won't even
    configure, let alone compile. However, the documentation
    is escellent, with examples which are missing from the
    other SDKs.

    Then there's the heir apparent of PGPsdk, GNUpg Made Easy
    which looks very promising but lacks usable documentation.

    I also tried the Java-based Cryptix PGP. I gave up on
    it because it couldn't open an Al-Gamal file, which are
    by far the most common fron the Windows world.

    In closing, I have a request: can anyone out there provide
    a sample of how to decrypt a PGP file using GPGme??

    TIA,

    -Ramon F Herrera

  2. Re: Summary of PGP Situation

    On 30 Nov 2004 04:03:20 -0800, ramon@conexus.net (Ramon F Herrera) wrote:

    >First of all, If you need to ask PGP questions, don't even
    >bother going to the PGP newsgroups, as nobody hangs around there
    >anymore.The real experts are here in comp.os.linux.security.

    Then why the hell are you posting this to comp.security.pgp.discuss?

  3. Re: Summary of PGP Situation

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > First of all, If you need to ask PGP questions, don't even
    > bother going to the PGP newsgroups, as nobody hangs around there
    > anymore.The real experts are here in comp.os.linux.security.

    Which is funny, since the only current PGP product for Linux is PGP
    Command Line. I guess that would be kinda ironic that all of our
    questions regarding PGP Desktop, Mobile, etc. are apparently best
    answered in a Linux group.

    CDA

  4. Re: Summary of PGP Situation

    Chris Applegate wrote in message news:...
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > First of all, If you need to ask PGP questions, don't even
    > > bother going to the PGP newsgroups, as nobody hangs around there
    > > anymore.The real experts are here in comp.os.linux.security.

    > Which is funny, since the only current PGP product for Linux is PGP
    > Command Line. I guess that would be kinda ironic that all of our
    > questions regarding PGP Desktop, Mobile, etc. are apparently best
    > answered in a Linux group.
    >
    > CDA

    Well, I have to qualify my statement. I was looking in the
    comp.security.pgp.* hierachy which is indeed desolated.
    However, I just noticed that there is a much more active
    PGP NG: alt.security.pgp

    -RFH

  5. Re: Summary of PGP Situation

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > In closing, I have a request: can anyone out there provide
    > a sample of how to decrypt a PGP file using GPGme??

    The current gpgme src apparently does, in its test sources.

    See my response to "How to decrypt..."

    Jon.

    -- * Does the walker choose the path, or does the path choose the walker?
    (fr. Sabriel) * --

+ Reply to Thread