Where does the name "armored file" come from? - PGP

This is a discussion on Where does the name "armored file" come from? - PGP ; What does the name "armored file" refer to? What is the origination of calling it armored? Armor usually means something is protected, but this is a straight ASCII file. Thanks....

  1. Where does the name "armored file" come from?

    What does the name "armored file" refer to?
    What is the origination of calling it armored?

    Armor usually means something is protected, but this is a straight ASCII file.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Where does the name "armored file" come from?

  3. Re: Where does the name "armored file" come from?

  4. Re: Where does the name "armored file" come from?

    Jawbone Ofanass writes:

    > What does the name "armored file" refer to?
    > What is the origination of calling it armored?
    >
    > Armor usually means something is protected, but this is a straight ASCII file.

    I think it refers to the fact that, once encoded in "armor," the actual
    encoded content won't be corrupted by passage through multiple nodes as
    e-mail (plain text without armor may be modified, especially with
    respect to things like space and newline characters).