What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt & others - PGP

This is a discussion on What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt & others - PGP ; What about a TERMINATOR PASSWORD, to deliberately EXTERMINATE the contents in case of emergencies :-)...

  1. What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt & others

    What about a TERMINATOR PASSWORD,
    to deliberately EXTERMINATE the contents
    in case of emergencies :-)

  2. Re: What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt& others

    -=| (ēLē) |=- o=[:::::::::::::::ģ wrote:
    > What about a TERMINATOR PASSWORD,
    > to deliberately EXTERMINATE the contents
    > in case of emergencies :-)

    Sarah Dean wrote SecureTrayUtil that may do what you want. See
    http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscrape...l.htm#Features

    Regards,

  3. Re: What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt & others

    "GeorgeD" wrote in message news:4154945f$0$4055$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...
    | -=| (ēLē) |=- o=[:::::::::::::::ģ wrote:
    | > What about a TERMINATOR PASSWORD,
    | > to deliberately EXTERMINATE the contents
    | > in case of emergencies :-)
    |

    | Sarah Dean wrote SecureTrayUtil that may do what you want. See
    | http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscrape...l.htm#Features
    |
    | Regards,

    Looks like a very handy program.
    Thanks for the link.

    Disk encryprtion programs *should* include their own
    rapid self-destruct features, just in case...

  4. Re: What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt & others

    Why? The first thing an adversary that knows forensics is going to do is:

    1) Remove the operator from the PC
    2) Shutdown the PC.
    3) Image all of the drives.

    I find it hard to envisage a scenario where a self-destruct password is
    going to be of use where SecureTray isn't?

    Cheers,

    Sam

    "-=| (ēLē) |=- o=[:::::::::::::::ģ" wrote in message
    > "GeorgeD" wrote in message

    > | -=| (ēLē) |=- o=[:::::::::::::::ģ wrote:
    > | > What about a TERMINATOR PASSWORD,
    > | > to deliberately EXTERMINATE the contents
    > | > in case of emergencies :-)
    > |

    > | Sarah Dean wrote SecureTrayUtil that may do what you want. See

    http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscrape...l.htm#Features

    > | Regards,
    >
    > Looks like a very handy program.
    > Thanks for the link.
    >
    > Disk encryprtion programs *should* include their own
    > rapid self-destruct features, just in case...

  5. Re: What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt & others

    In article , Sam Simpson wrote:
    > Why? The first thing an adversary that knows forensics is going to do is:
    >
    > 1) Remove the operator from the PC
    > 2) Shutdown the PC.
    > 3) Image all of the drives.
    >
    > I find it hard to envisage a scenario where a self-destruct password is
    > going to be of use where SecureTray isn't?

    One way to do self destruct is to keep the key in volatile memory so that
    when the power is cut the key is lost permanently. (There may be some
    chance of recovering the key from dram, but this will be expensive.)
    The disadvantage of this scheme is that if you lose power you lose your
    data whether you want to or not.

  6. Re: What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt & others

    A UPS (universal power supply) which gives you a few minutes of electricity
    for run time is enough to get around the unexpected loss of power and let
    you save your data.

    On the otherhand, if you are talking about keeping all the encryption engine
    stuff in volatile memory and requiring continuous up-time, then the UPS
    scheme would not achieve the ability to save the data before the system dies
    which may in fact be the best thing for the user in the long run.

    "Bruno Wolff III" wrote in message
    > In article , Sam Simpson wrote:
    >> Why? The first thing an adversary that knows forensics is going to do is:
    >>
    >> 1) Remove the operator from the PC
    >> 2) Shutdown the PC.
    >> 3) Image all of the drives.
    >>
    >> I find it hard to envisage a scenario where a self-destruct password is
    >> going to be of use where SecureTray isn't?

    > One way to do self destruct is to keep the key in volatile memory so that
    > when the power is cut the key is lost permanently. (There may be some
    > chance of recovering the key from dram, but this will be expensive.)
    > The disadvantage of this scheme is that if you lose power you lose your
    > data whether you want to or not.

  7. Re: What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt & others

    Such a feature will be great addition for DrivecryptPLUS !

    At a predefined wrong password ( you can put a post it under computer or
    if they force to say say the wrong password and the content would be
    shredded tottally

    "GeorgeD" wrote in message
    > -=| (ēLē) |=- o=[:::::::::::::::ģ wrote:
    > > What about a TERMINATOR PASSWORD,
    > > to deliberately EXTERMINATE the contents
    > > in case of emergencies :-)

    > Sarah Dean wrote SecureTrayUtil that may do what you want. See
    > http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscrape...l.htm#Features
    >
    > Regards,

  8. Re: What about an emergency 'TERMINATOR PASSWORD' for Drivecrypt& others

    Lyman wrote:

    > Such a feature will be great addition for DrivecryptPLUS !
    >
    > At a predefined wrong password ( you can put a post it under computer or
    > if they force to say say the wrong password and the content would be
    > shredded tottally

    in an investigation situation they will have cloned the drive, and
    work from the clone. they keep the original well away from fumble
    fingers. so this does not help in run-ins with the law.

    this would only be useful if your former business partner is being
    aggressive or something.

    -k

    > "GeorgeD" wrote in message

    >>>What about a TERMINATOR PASSWORD,
    >>>to deliberately EXTERMINATE the contents
    >>>in case of emergencies :-)

    >>Sarah Dean wrote SecureTrayUtil that may do what you want. See
    >>http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscrape...l.htm#Features
    >>
    >>Regards,

+ Reply to Thread