Hide folders in Win2K with Encryption - PGP

This is a discussion on Hide folders in Win2K with Encryption - PGP ; I have never used PGP before and I have an urgent need for a solution so I don't have much time to fuss around with the software.. I was wondering if it's possible to completely hide the contents of a ...

  1. Hide folders in Win2K with Encryption

    I have never used PGP before and I have an urgent need for a solution
    so I don't have much time to fuss around with the software.. I was
    wondering if it's possible to completely hide the contents of a folder
    (also hiding the files list) by encrypting the folder with PGP. I have
    the Administrator account on a Win2K Server and I want to completely
    deny access to some folders from other Admin group users, and be able
    to access the files transparently like any other folder.

    Actually I don't even know how PGP works!! Does it ask for a password
    when someone tries to access an encrypted folder? Sorry if they may
    seem such dumb questions!! Again, at this moment I have no time to
    research through the many encrypting solutions..!

    Does anyone know if PGP (or some other software) is able to accomplish
    this??

    (Also, is PGP "smart" enough to enable access to the encypted folders
    based on my Administrator login??)

  2. Re: Hide folders in Win2K with Encryption

    jloriena@hotpop.com (Jessica Loriena) wrote in
    news:9beb2b43.0408290021.17334b01@posting.google.c om:

    > I have never used PGP before and I have an urgent need for a
    > solution so I don't have much time to fuss around with the
    > software.. I was wondering if it's possible to completely hide
    > the contents of a folder (also hiding the files list) by
    > encrypting the folder with PGP. I have the Administrator account
    > on a Win2K Server and I want to completely deny access to some
    > folders from other Admin group users, and be able to access the
    > files transparently like any other folder.
    >
    > Actually I don't even know how PGP works!! Does it ask for a
    > password when someone tries to access an encrypted folder? Sorry
    > if they may seem such dumb questions!! Again, at this moment I
    > have no time to research through the many encrypting solutions..!
    >
    > Does anyone know if PGP (or some other software) is able to
    > accomplish this??

    It sounds like what you need is an On-the-fly-encryption product like
    "PGP Disk" that comes with the pay versions of PGP or freeware
    "TrueCrypt".

    Several other similar commercial products are available (BestCrypt,
    DriveCrypt, etc).

    It works a little differently than you describe. You create an
    encrypted container file on your disk that you can mount like a
    removable disk given a correct password. Once mounted, you can
    transparently access this data as if it were another disk on your
    machine. Once dismounted, the data is stored encrypted in the
    container file. Access is strictly by correct password/passphrase at
    time of mounting.

    HTH,
    John

  3. Re: Hide folders in Win2K with Encryption

+ Reply to Thread