weird GNuPG, didn't recognize password on commandline but via Enigmail - PGP

  2. Re: weird GNuPG, didn't recognize password on commandline but viaEnigmail

    Falko Zurell wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I got some very strange behaviour on my GnuPG (gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.4) under
    > SuSE Linux 9.1.
    >
    > I use Enigmail with Thunderbird to sign my mails. This works fine with
    > my key.
    > Now I tried to sign a file on the command line with gpg and was very
    > suprised that it didn't accept my password.
    >
    > I coudln't figure out why this happens. I verified that I use the same
    > UID for sending with Enigmail as on the command line.
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas on that?

    I'm guessing that your password has non ascii alphanumeric characters in
    it that enigmail and and xterminal/bash are handling the characters
    slightly differently.

    cheers
    stuart

  3. Re: weird GNuPG, didn't recognize password on commandline but viaEnigmail

  4. Re: weird GNuPG, didn't recognize password on commandline but viaEnigmail

    Falko Zurell wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > yes it was something like this. But more an character set problem. I
    > created the key once under SuSE 9.0 which has a default character set of
    > Latin-1 (iso-8????). Now I'm using SuSE 9.1 which uses UTF-8 as default
    > character set.
    > I booted from a Knoppix CD and tried the key there and it works with my
    > original password. So I switched back to Latin-1 character set and now
    > it works.
    > But I created a SSH key on SuSE 9.1 under UTF-8 and now have the same
    > problem with this key backward..... kind of annoying.
    >
    > Thanks and kind regards from Berlin/Germany

    For most POSIX (linux/unix) systems and applications you can set the
    default character encoding on a per system, per user, or per
    application, so it may be an obscure install option thats leading to
    these issues.

    The easy solution is to boot to each system in turn, changing your
    passwords to all-ascii strings, which sould be handled correctly by the
    overwhelming majority of character encodings. There are other solutions
    that don't cut down on the key space: switch to using a single system,
    setting up all systems, users and apps to use the same coding.

    cheers
    stuart
    --
    Stuart Yeates stuart.yeates@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk