msnmsgr.exe - PGP

This is a discussion on msnmsgr.exe - PGP ; running Win 2000 and there is an application in the background using up all the CPU resources. I have narrowed it down to msnmsgr.exe. It is hidden in the System32 file. They do not run MSN Messagnger at all. I ...

  1. msnmsgr.exe

    running Win 2000 and there is an application in the background using
    up all the CPU resources. I have narrowed it down to msnmsgr.exe. It
    is hidden in the System32 file. They do not run MSN Messagnger at
    all. I have read on various forums that viruses or spyware will often
    hijack this file and use it to send info out from the computer. This
    way many virus protection and spyware programs miss it. I have run
    Adaware and Norton and nothing has helped. I have tried to delte the
    file as well but it will not allow me. Do you guys have any
    suggestions? I have tried to access the Symmantec site for
    suggestions but for some reason this computer will not allow me to
    access thier site. How can I disable or remove this program?

  2. Re: msnmsgr.exe

    jimmmybuffett wrote:

    > running Win 2000 and there is an application in the background using
    > up all the CPU resources. I have narrowed it down to msnmsgr.exe. It
    > is hidden in the System32 file. They do not run MSN Messagnger at
    > all. I have read on various forums that viruses or spyware will often
    > hijack this file and use it to send info out from the computer. This
    > way many virus protection and spyware programs miss it. I have run
    > Adaware and Norton and nothing has helped. I have tried to delte the
    > file as well but it will not allow me. Do you guys have any
    > suggestions? I have tried to access the Symmantec site for
    > suggestions but for some reason this computer will not allow me to
    > access thier site. How can I disable or remove this program?

    Try stopping it from starting, check you services, startup-program
    group, win.ini, system.ini, registry startup-records. If it gets
    automatically started it must be somewhere in there.

    --
    Hans Fleischmann

    hansi@stack.trash-nl
    PGP-KeyID: 0x676FB35B
    +31650525455

  3. Re: msnmsgr.exe

    jimmmybuffett@yahoo.com (jimmmybuffett) wrote in
    news:f36436da.0407251827.76807586@posting.google.c om:

    > running Win 2000 and there is an application in the
    > background using up all the CPU resources. I have narrowed
    > it down to msnmsgr.exe. It is hidden in the System32 file.
    > They do not run MSN Messagnger at all. I have read on
    > various forums that viruses or spyware will often hijack
    > this file and use it to send info out from the computer.
    > This way many virus protection and spyware programs miss
    > it. I have run Adaware and Norton and nothing has helped.
    > I have tried to delte the file as well but it will not
    > allow me. Do you guys have any suggestions? I have tried
    > to access the Symmantec site for suggestions but for some
    > reason this computer will not allow me to access thier
    > site. How can I disable or remove this program?

    Could be a worm. Some malwares kill access to known A-V sites.
    Have a look at [wrap]
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...lt5.asp?VName=
    WORM_RBOT.QA

    Suggestion: google "msnmsgr.exe" before you try remove it.

    Replies to: Njk04s_130_p(at)Ojuno(dot)Tcom

  4. Re: msnmsgr.exe

    jimmmybuffett wrote:
    > running Win 2000 and there is an application in the background using
    > up all the CPU resources. I have narrowed it down to msnmsgr.exe. It
    > is hidden in the System32 file. They do not run MSN Messagnger at
    > all. I have read on various forums that viruses or spyware will often
    > hijack this file and use it to send info out from the computer. This
    > way many virus protection and spyware programs miss it. I have run
    > Adaware and Norton and nothing has helped.

    You might also try Spybot Search-n-Destroy. Sometimes this will pick up
    on things AdAware misses, and vice versa. If possible, burn known-good
    copies of your AV and spyware hunting programs onto a CD from a clean
    computer and run them from the CD; that way, you know the malware isn't
    altering them.

    CDA

    CDA

+ Reply to Thread