Packet Error Decrypting .xls files - PGP

This is a discussion on Packet Error Decrypting .xls files - PGP ; I have a batch job that receives (via FTP) MS Excel spreadsheet files (extension .xls) and decrypts them via PGP. Occaisionally, I will get a "packet error" on decryption. I checked with the person who originally encrypted the files and ...

  1. Packet Error Decrypting .xls files

    I have a batch job that receives (via FTP) MS Excel spreadsheet files
    (extension .xls) and decrypts them via PGP. Occaisionally, I will get
    a "packet error" on decryption. I checked with the person who
    originally encrypted the files and had them re-encrypt the bad file.
    I noticed that the size of the encrypted file had increased by 2
    bytes. When I decrypted the file this time, I had no problems.

    I am using PGP Command-line for Unix 6.5.8.

    Does anyone have experience with this problem?

    TIA

    Steve Scarlett

    "Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

  2. Re: Packet Error Decrypting .xls files

    sscarlet@kemperinsurance.com (Steve Scarlett) wrote in
    news:fbbb592a.0407231013.772304b0@posting.google.c om:

    > I have a batch job that receives (via FTP) MS Excel spreadsheet
    > files (extension .xls) and decrypts them via PGP. Occaisionally,
    > I will get a "packet error" on decryption. I checked with the
    > person who originally encrypted the files and had them re-encrypt
    > the bad file. I noticed that the size of the encrypted file had
    > increased by 2 bytes. When I decrypted the file this time, I had
    > no problems.
    >
    > I am using PGP Command-line for Unix 6.5.8.
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with this problem?

    Shot-in-the-dark. I am assuming here that the file was not Ascii-
    armored and was encrypted and sent as a binary file.

    One common FTP problem is when a Binary file is transferred in ASCII
    mode. When this happens on a UNIX machine, the CR-LF byte sequence
    (0x0d, 0x0a) will be translated into a single end-of-line character
    (0x0a), thereby reducing the size of the file by one on each
    occurrence. Re-encrypting the original file will result in a
    completely different file, possibly without that character combination,
    which will then transfer successfully.

    When using FTP to transfer binary files, remember to issue the "binary"
    command before the 'get' or 'put' command.

    HTH,
    John

+ Reply to Thread