Seems silly to ask but....how do you decrypt PGP messages in these threads? - PGP

This is a discussion on Seems silly to ask but....how do you decrypt PGP messages in these threads? - PGP ; Take for instance any random post that has a PGP message included in it. How do I decrypt it, I tried to copy the PGP message block to my clipboard, searched the keyserver for the public key, imported that and ...

  1. Seems silly to ask but....how do you decrypt PGP messages in these threads?

    Take for instance any random post that has a PGP message included in
    it. How do I decrypt it, I tried to copy the PGP message block to my
    clipboard, searched the keyserver for the public key, imported that
    and next choose decrypt and verify clipboard. What happens then is it
    opens a file dialog window looking for a file called clipboard??? WHAT
    THE??? How do I decrypt it? Just started to use it so, just learning
    and taking my first babysteps so please go easy with the comments :-)

  2. Re: Seems silly to ask but....how do you decrypt PGP messages in these threads?

    In Message-ID:<1eacd018acu3ni1vql5ntv8l7bfma81r1r@4ax.com>,
    nopspam@nospam.com wrote:

    >Take for instance any random post that has a PGP message included in
    >it. How do I decrypt it, I tried to copy the PGP message block to my
    >clipboard, searched the keyserver for the public key, imported that
    >and next choose decrypt and verify clipboard. What happens then is it
    >opens a file dialog window looking for a file called clipboard??? WHAT
    >THE??? How do I decrypt it? Just started to use it so, just learning
    >and taking my first babysteps so please go easy with the comments :-)

    Short answer: Those are not messages, but signatures. Copy
    the *entire* message to clipboard and then choose decrypt and
    verify.

    Longer answer: You can decrypt messages only when they're
    encrypted with your own public key. PGP has another feature,
    though, called "signing". Without going into details, if PGP
    says the signature is good, the message is *exactly* as the
    signer wrote it.

    The reason PGP was prompting you for a file is that you
    asked it to verify a signature without the file to which it was
    attached.

    BTW, it's generally a good idea to specify a message when
    you're asking for help, rather than having us just randomly look
    around to see if we can figure out which one(s) you're talking
    about. For instance, the messageID in the first line of this
    post uniquely identifies your message.

    --
    Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
    Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

  3. Re: Seems silly to ask but....how do you decrypt PGP messages inthese threads?

  4. Re[2]: Seems silly to ask but....how do you decrypt PGP messages in these threads?

+ Reply to Thread