Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ???? - PGP

This is a discussion on Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ???? - PGP ; I installed PGP8 in my XP laptop in Admin account ( the only I basically ever needed is PGPdisk ) and tried to do that for my regular user account on the same laptop. PGP after connecting to internet didn't ...

  1. Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ????

    I installed PGP8 in my XP laptop in Admin account
    ( the only I basically ever needed is PGPdisk )
    and tried to do that for my regular user account
    on the same laptop. PGP after connecting to internet
    didn't install complaining about licensing.

    What, company which owns PGP thinks its illegal
    use of software ??? Do I need to pay $50 for
    each account ? Two-three home computers, 2-4 accounts
    in each, do the math...

    :-[ ] :-[ ] :-[ ]

    Any clue? I have NAI PGP7 installation disk which works
    OK in Win2000 but it does not even start on XP.

    NN

  2. Re: Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ????

    noname wrote in news:wcJic.11866$7m4.1159
    @newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

    > I installed PGP8 in my XP laptop in Admin account
    > ( the only I basically ever needed is PGPdisk )
    > and tried to do that for my regular user account
    > on the same laptop. PGP after connecting to internet
    > didn't install complaining about licensing.
    >
    > What, company which owns PGP thinks its illegal
    > use of software ??? Do I need to pay $50 for
    > each account ? Two-three home computers, 2-4 accounts
    > in each, do the math...
    >
    >:-[ ] :-[ ] :-[ ]

    Most such software licenses restrict installation to just one machine.
    If you were to contact PGP Corp on the question of you wanting to use it
    yourself under more than on user account, they would assist you in doing
    so. But, you can just use your original account's pgpprefs.txt for the
    other account - just copy it there.

    > Any clue? I have NAI PGP7 installation disk which works
    > OK in Win2000 but it does not even start on XP.

    Although I wouldn't suggest using PGP 7.x instead, it can be done:
    http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#WindowsXP

    --
    Tom McCune

  3. Re: Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ????

    noname wrote on 25 April 2004 in message
    :

    > I installed PGP8 in my XP laptop in Admin account
    > ( the only I basically ever needed is PGPdisk )
    > and tried to do that for my regular user account
    > on the same laptop. PGP after connecting to internet
    > didn't install complaining about licensing.

    Should be ok if you close the Licensing dialogue box (either click on X in
    top right corner or click button marked "Later")
    --
    MFPA

  4. Re: Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ????

    Tom McCune wrote:

    > noname wrote in news:wcJic.11866$7m4.1159
    > @newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:
    >

    >>I installed PGP8 in my XP laptop in Admin account
    >>( the only I basically ever needed is PGPdisk )
    >>and tried to do that for my regular user account
    >>on the same laptop. PGP after connecting to internet
    >>didn't install complaining about licensing.
    >>
    >>What, company which owns PGP thinks its illegal
    >>use of software ??? Do I need to pay $50 for
    >>each account ? Two-three home computers, 2-4 accounts
    >>in each, do the math...
    >>
    >>:-[ ] :-[ ] :-[ ]

    > Most such software licenses restrict installation to just one machine.
    > If you were to contact PGP Corp on the question of you wanting to use it
    > yourself under more than on user account, they would assist you in doing
    > so. But, you can just use your original account's pgpprefs.txt for the
    > other account - just copy it there.

    After I copied that file
    I got PGP Licence Notification window
    requiring to go to the internet and purchase license.

    "Minimum license required - PGP Personal"

    What the nuts are at PGP now!

    >>Any clue? I have NAI PGP7 installation disk which works
    >>OK in Win2000 but it does not even start on XP.

    > Although I wouldn't suggest using PGP 7.x instead, it can be done:
    > http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#WindowsXP

  5. Re: Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ????

    noname wrote in news:yGZic.12299$eE7.9334
    @newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

    > After I copied that file
    > I got PGP Licence Notification window
    > requiring to go to the internet and purchase license.
    >
    > "Minimum license required - PGP Personal"
    >
    > What the nuts are at PGP now!

    Copying it to the right user folder should have taken care of the problem.
    But since it hasn't, I'd suggest calling PGP Corp so they can resolve it
    for you.

    --
    Tom McCune

  6. Re: Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ????

    Tom McCune wrote:
    > noname wrote in news:yGZic.12299$eE7.9334
    > @newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:
    >

    >>After I copied that file
    >>I got PGP Licence Notification window
    >>requiring to go to the internet and purchase license.
    >>
    >>"Minimum license required - PGP Personal"
    >>
    >>What the nuts are at PGP now!

    > Copying it to the right user folder should have taken care of the problem.
    > But since it hasn't, I'd suggest calling PGP Corp so they can resolve it
    > for you.

    Thanks for suggestions.
    By the way the suggestion of MFPA gives the same result:
    PGP requires Personal license to use PGPdisk while it already
    is Personal edition...

    As to calling PGP for such elementary function which MUST
    be there by default makes me wonder what the crappy this
    software is. I also afraid that call of PGP may not solve
    the problem because besides the license my EXACT first+ last
    name will be needed (I probably used faked name as all do usually )

    Is there something similar to PGP PGPdisk anyone
    can recommend ?

    Alternatively, if I install PGP 7 on XP is there any problems
    with it found so far? I did that before and had problem with one of disks
    which was 10 GB (it was read-only and I was unable to change it)
    while all less than 6 GB were OK. Going back from XP to Win2000
    just to have PGPdisk working is an inconvenience for me...

  7. Re: Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ????

    noname writes:

    ]Tom McCune wrote:

    ]> noname wrote in news:wcJic.11866$7m4.1159
    ]> @newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:
    ]>
    ]>
    ]>>I installed PGP8 in my XP laptop in Admin account
    ]>>( the only I basically ever needed is PGPdisk )
    ]>>and tried to do that for my regular user account
    ]>>on the same laptop. PGP after connecting to internet
    ]>>didn't install complaining about licensing.
    ]>>
    ]>>What, company which owns PGP thinks its illegal
    ]>>use of software ??? Do I need to pay $50 for
    ]>>each account ? Two-three home computers, 2-4 accounts
    ]>>in each, do the math...
    ]>>
    ]>>:-[ ] :-[ ] :-[ ]
    ]>
    ]>
    ]> Most such software licenses restrict installation to just one machine.
    ]> If you were to contact PGP Corp on the question of you wanting to use it
    ]> yourself under more than on user account, they would assist you in doing
    ]> so. But, you can just use your original account's pgpprefs.txt for the
    ]> other account - just copy it there.
    ]>

    ]After I copied that file
    ]I got PGP Licence Notification window
    ]requiring to go to the internet and purchase license.

    ]"Minimum license required - PGP Personal"

    ]What the nuts are at PGP now!

    Use gpg, the opensource version of pgp.
    pgp is proprietary ever since Zimmermann's company which he set up got
    bought out many times.

  8. Re: Is PGP8 Personal just for ONE single account ????

    > Thanks for suggestions.
    > By the way the suggestion of MFPA gives the same result:
    > PGP requires Personal license to use PGPdisk while it already
    > is Personal edition...
    >
    > As to calling PGP for such elementary function which MUST
    > be there by default makes me wonder what the crappy this
    > software is.

    They've cut down the features in the free version of 8 to an absolute
    minimum. AIUI PGP corp only releases a free version because it feels
    obliged to.

    > Is there something similar to PGP PGPdisk anyone
    > can recommend ?

    Bestcrypt has a good reputation, though I haven't tried it myself

+ Reply to Thread