Help--GPG Problem - PGP

This is a discussion on Help--GPG Problem - PGP ; Have a minor problem with GPG. Just installed GPG 1.2.4, GPG Shell 3.10 and Enigmail GPG plugins on Thunderbird mail. GPG works o.k. from Thunderbird Enigmail (encrypt-o.k.; sign-o.k.; and encrypt/sign-o.k.) When I run GPG from the Shell/GPG Tray/Current Window, I ...

  1. Help--GPG Problem

    Have a minor problem with GPG.
    Just installed GPG 1.2.4, GPG Shell 3.10 and Enigmail
    GPG plugins on Thunderbird mail. GPG works o.k. from
    Thunderbird Enigmail (encrypt-o.k.; sign-o.k.; and
    encrypt/sign-o.k.)
    When I run GPG from the Shell/GPG Tray/Current Window,
    I have a problem. (encrypt-o.k.; sign--No; encrypt/sign-No)
    On sign and encrypt/sign, my pass phrase is required.
    A DOS window will open and asks for my pass phrase. The blinking
    cursor will wait for my input. I cannot enter the pass phrase
    because it acts as if my keyboard went dead.
    To recover it takes a ctrl-alt-delete.

    I am just trying to get acquainted with GPG. Can anyone help?
    Thanks, Casey

  2. Re: Help--GPG Problem

  3. Re: Help--GPG Problem

    > Have a minor problem with GPG.
    > Just installed GPG 1.2.4, GPG Shell 3.10 and Enigmail
    > GPG plugins on Thunderbird mail. GPG works o.k. from
    > Thunderbird Enigmail (encrypt-o.k.; sign-o.k.; and
    > encrypt/sign-o.k.)
    > When I run GPG from the Shell/GPG Tray/Current Window,
    > I have a problem. (encrypt-o.k.; sign--No; encrypt/sign-No)
    > On sign and encrypt/sign, my pass phrase is required.
    > A DOS window will open and asks for my pass phrase. The blinking
    > cursor will wait for my input. I cannot enter the pass phrase
    > because it acts as if my keyboard went dead.
    > To recover it takes a ctrl-alt-delete.

    'nix programs tend not to use the *s when typing a password since it means
    people can see how long your password is. Try just typing it and pressing
    enter.

  4. Re: Help--GPG Problem

    > That's normal for the DOS window to act that way. It's a security
    > feature so that if by chance someone was looking over your shoulder,
    > they wouldn't have any idea of the number of characters your pass phrase
    > contains. Try typing your pass phrase and press enter and see if it
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > - --
    >
    > Roy Smith
    >

    > I use the Mozilla Suite of Internet tools because I want to use software
    > that complies with Web standards. See .

    Thanks Roy, Works fine--just like it was designed.
    The person who designed that feature must have been
    really, really paranoid
    Thanks again, Casey

+ Reply to Thread