decryption failed bad key - please HELP! - PGP

This is a discussion on decryption failed bad key - please HELP! - PGP ; Hi all, I am having problems figuring out why I cannot decrypt a certain file encrypted using PGP. I am trying to decrypt it using GPG v 1.2.2. When I try and decrypt the file, I get the following error ...

  1. decryption failed bad key - please HELP!

    Hi all,

    I am having problems figuring out why I cannot decrypt a certain file
    encrypted using PGP. I am trying to decrypt it using GPG v 1.2.2. When I
    try and decrypt the file, I get the following error messages:

    gpg: TWOFISH encrypted data
    gpg: decryption failed: bad key

    The file has been encrypted using my public key by someone using PGP 7.0. I
    am able to decrypt the file using PGP 8.0 but not GPG. Why?

    I would really appreciate any help/advice available.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: decryption failed bad key - please HELP!

    Pumba wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am having problems figuring out why I cannot decrypt a certain file
    > encrypted using PGP. I am trying to decrypt it using GPG v 1.2.2. When I
    > try and decrypt the file, I get the following error messages:
    >
    > gpg: TWOFISH encrypted data
    > gpg: decryption failed: bad key
    >
    > The file has been encrypted using my public key by someone using PGP 7.0. I
    > am able to decrypt the file using PGP 8.0 but not GPG. Why?
    >
    > I would really appreciate any help/advice available.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Have you triued sending yourself an encrypted file and see if you can
    recover the original file? Apparently the other user managed to import
    your GPG public key, and was able to encrypt with it. Your messages
    above show that decryption started, and the encryption method has been
    determined.

    --

    Martin

    Email address is ROT13 encoded to slow down spammers

  3. Re: decryption failed bad key - please HELP!

    Yes I have tried doing that and I can decrypt files that I encrypt for
    myself using my Public Key.

    After using the verbose option I get the following log:

    decrypt test.log.pgp
    gpg: public key is E8758081
    gpg: using secondary key E8758081 instead of primary key 8FA8DF98
    gpg: using secondary key E8758081 instead of primary key 8FA8DF98
    gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID E8758081, created 2002-11-18
    gpg: TWOFISH encrypted data
    gpg: decryption failed: bad key

    Thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread