PGP and WINE? - PGP

This is a discussion on PGP and WINE? - PGP ; Can anyone tell me whether PGP Personal 8.0.x, in particular the PGP Disk component, will work in Linux under WINE? CDA...

  1. PGP and WINE?

    Can anyone tell me whether PGP Personal 8.0.x, in particular the PGP
    Disk component, will work in Linux under WINE?

    CDA

  2. Re: PGP and WINE?

    Chris Applegate wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me whether PGP Personal 8.0.x, in particular the PGP
    > Disk component, will work in Linux under WINE?

    IME commandline works, but gui pgp fails because it's trying to lock memory
    and can't. How would pgpdisk work, since linux doesn't use drive letters?

  3. Re: PGP and WINE?

    White WINE or Red WINE?

    MikeyD wrote in message news:<1082025237.10463.0@ersa.uk.clara.net>...
    > Chris Applegate wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone tell me whether PGP Personal 8.0.x, in particular the PGP
    > > Disk component, will work in Linux under WINE?
    > >

    > IME commandline works, but gui pgp fails because it's trying to lock memory
    > and can't. How would pgpdisk work, since linux doesn't use drive letters?

  4. Re: PGP and WINE?

    MikeyD wrote in message news:<1082025237.10463.0@ersa.uk.clara.net>...

    > IME commandline works, but gui pgp fails because it's trying to lock memory
    > and can't. How would pgpdisk work, since linux doesn't use drive letters?

    I have no idea how it would work. I have never used Wine and don't
    know how it emulates the Windows directory structure. (I know, I know
    .... Not an Emulator.)

    CDA

  5. Re: PGP and WINE?

    >> IME commandline works, but gui pgp fails because it's trying to lock
    >> memory and can't. How would pgpdisk work, since linux doesn't use drive
    >> letters?

    > I have no idea how it would work. I have never used Wine and don't
    > know how it emulates the Windows directory structure. (I know, I know
    > ... Not an Emulator.)

    Basically you just tell it which linux directories to use as windows drives,
    though you can give it raw dev access if you want. So there's no way I know
    of which would let you mount a drive letter from within wine with a windows
    program.

  6. Re: PGP and WINE?

    Yeah, well after a lot of wine you usually end up trying to unlock your
    front door with the pgp keys

    nexus3@goldmail.de (Nexus Drei) wrote in
    news:24b79d8c.0404150906.67e049d6@posting.google.c om:

    > White WINE or Red WINE?
    >
    > MikeyD wrote in message
    >> Chris Applegate wrote:
    >>
    >> > Can anyone tell me whether PGP Personal 8.0.x, in particular the
    >> > PGP Disk component, will work in Linux under WINE?
    >> >

    >> IME commandline works, but gui pgp fails because it's trying to lock
    >> memory and can't. How would pgpdisk work, since linux doesn't use
    >> drive letters?

  7. Re: PGP and WINE?

    On 14 Apr 2004 23:31:42 -0700, ChrisApplegate@cwru.edu (Chris Applegate)
    wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me whether PGP Personal 8.0.x, in particular the PGP
    >Disk component, will work in Linux under WINE?

    It will not work, the PGP disk is designed to work on a FAT 32 system.
    Besides it is useless to use encryption on a JFS unless the entire JFS is
    encrypted.
    For PGP email download the PGP 6.5.8 from MIT or PGPi.org or use GNUPG.

  8. Re: PGP and WINE?

    >>Can anyone tell me whether PGP Personal 8.0.x, in particular the PGP
    >>Disk component, will work in Linux under WINE?

    > It will not work, the PGP disk is designed to work on a FAT 32 system.

    Not intrinsicly a problem. Linux has pretty good fat32 support

    > Besides it is useless to use encryption on a JFS unless the entire JFS is
    > encrypted.

    He never said he was using a JFS.

  9. Re: PGP and WINE?

    just to ask:
    I'm sorry, I didn't read the kernel filesystem API, but isn't there a
    syscall which I instruct the kernel to BYPASS writing the journalling data?

    escreveu na mensagem
    > On 14 Apr 2004 23:31:42 -0700, ChrisApplegate@cwru.edu (Chris Applegate)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Can anyone tell me whether PGP Personal 8.0.x, in particular the PGP
    > >Disk component, will work in Linux under WINE?

    > It will not work, the PGP disk is designed to work on a FAT 32 system.
    > Besides it is useless to use encryption on a JFS unless the entire JFS is
    > encrypted.
    > For PGP email download the PGP 6.5.8 from MIT or PGPi.org or use GNUPG.

+ Reply to Thread