decryption failed bad key - PGP

This is a discussion on decryption failed bad key - PGP ; Hi all, I am having problems figuring out why I cannot decrypt a certain file encrypted using PGP. I am trying to decrypt it using GPG v 1.2.2. When I try and decrypt the file, I get the following error ...

  1. decryption failed bad key

    Hi all,

    I am having problems figuring out why I cannot decrypt a certain file
    encrypted using PGP. I am trying to decrypt it using GPG v 1.2.2. When I
    try and decrypt the file, I get the following error messages:

    gpg: TWOFISH encrypted data
    gpg: decryption failed: bad key

    I would really appreciate any help/advice available.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: decryption failed bad key

    Pumba wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am having problems figuring out why I cannot decrypt a certain file
    > encrypted using PGP. I am trying to decrypt it using GPG v 1.2.2. When I
    > try and decrypt the file, I get the following error messages:
    >
    > gpg: TWOFISH encrypted data
    > gpg: decryption failed: bad key
    >
    > I would really appreciate any help/advice available.
    >
    > Thanks!

    1) was the file encrypted BY you, and if so, did you encrypt to yourself as
    well as the recipient?
    2) was the file encrypted FOR you, and perhaps the sender used the wrong key
    id?

    Need a little more info.

  3. Re: decryption failed bad key

    Sorry for not posting the whole story. Yes, the file was encrypted for me
    by someone else.

    I dont think the sender used the wrong key as I am able to decrypt that file
    using PGP 8.0. Just not able to decrypt it using GPG (the sender is using
    PGP 7.0 if that helps)

    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > Pumba wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am having problems figuring out why I cannot decrypt a certain file
    > > encrypted using PGP. I am trying to decrypt it using GPG v 1.2.2. When

    > > try and decrypt the file, I get the following error messages:
    > >
    > > gpg: TWOFISH encrypted data
    > > gpg: decryption failed: bad key
    > >
    > > I would really appreciate any help/advice available.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > 1) was the file encrypted BY you, and if so, did you encrypt to yourself

    as
    > well as the recipient?
    > 2) was the file encrypted FOR you, and perhaps the sender used the wrong

    key
    > id?
    >
    > Need a little more info.

+ Reply to Thread