Confused! - PGP

This is a discussion on Confused! - PGP ; I use Mac, and I've set up the Mac version of PGP. I'm able to encrypt and decrypt, but now I want to send an email to a friend that is encrypted. She uses PC. Is she going to have ...

  1. Confused!

    I use Mac, and I've set up the Mac version of PGP. I'm able to encrypt
    and decrypt, but now I want to send an email to a friend that is
    encrypted. She uses PC.

    Is she going to have to install PGP to be able to read my email to her?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Confused!

    American Chick wrote...

    > I use Mac, and I've set up the Mac version of PGP. I'm able to encrypt
    > and decrypt, but now I want to send an email to a friend that is
    > encrypted. She uses PC.
    >
    > Is she going to have to install PGP to be able to read my email to her?

    The short answer is "yes". For PGP encrypted communications to work in
    the typical fashion, it's necessary for both parties to have PGP
    installed, and for those parties to exchange keys. But...

    There's a "work around". It may be more cumbersome, and it poses some
    security risks that "normal" PGP use addresses, but it's quite possible
    for you to carry on one way encrypted communications by conventionally
    encrypting your message as a "Self Decrypting Archive (SDA)", attaching
    that secured file to a "normal" email, and sending it to the other party
    who must then save/execute the attachment before reading the message.

    The biggest drawback to this method the necessary pass word/phrase that
    both parties must have. In theory, unless you can find a secure way to
    agree on that password, your security is an illusion. And again, it's a
    one way process. If the party quotes your message in a reply, security is
    out the window.

    --
    "I don't think that Saddam Hussein is deliberately starving his own
    people. I would think that a man who gets 99 percent of the people to

  3. Re: Confused!

    Copelandia Cyanescens wrote in

    > There's a "work around". It may be more cumbersome, and it poses some
    > security risks that "normal" PGP use addresses, but it's quite possible
    > for you to carry on one way encrypted communications by conventionally
    > encrypting your message as a "Self Decrypting Archive (SDA)", attaching
    > that secured file to a "normal" email, and sending it to the other party
    > who must then save/execute the attachment before reading the message.

    A Windows user will not be able to decrypt a Mac created SDA.

    --
    Tom McCune

  4. Re: Confused!

    Tom McCune wrote...

    >> There's a "work around". It may be more cumbersome, and it poses some
    >> security risks that "normal" PGP use addresses, but it's quite possible
    >> for you to carry on one way encrypted communications by conventionally
    >> encrypting your message as a "Self Decrypting Archive (SDA)", attaching

    > A Windows user will not be able to decrypt a Mac created SDA.

    DOH!

    Of course. Did I miss something in the original post, or simply fall
    victim to my ASSumptions?

    OTOH, I think there's probably a "work around" for this problem too.

    --
    "You can't just let nature run wild."
    - Wally Hickel, former Alaska governor

  5. Re: Confused!

  6. Re: Confused!

    Tom McCune wrote...

    >>> A Windows user will not be able to decrypt a Mac created SDA.

    >> DOH!
    >>
    >> Of course. Did I miss something in the original post, or simply fall
    >> victim to my ASSumptions?
    >>
    >> OTOH, I think there's probably a "work around" for this problem too.

    > Is there Mac emulation?

    Sure.

    http://www.emulators.com/

    I'm only ASSuming again that there's not something about PGP SDA's that
    might prevent them from running in an emulator.

    By the way Tom, you're always an unexpected diamond in the strip mine of
    Usenet. I appreciate you pointing out the obvious additional flaw in my
    SDA scenario even more than I admire your dogged dedication to all things
    PGP related. Kudos, my friend.

    --
    "Sure, it's going to kill a lot of people, but they may be dying of
    something else anyway."

  7. Re: Confused!

  8. Re: Confused!

    Tom McCune wrote...

    >> I'm only ASSuming again that there's not something about PGP SDA's that
    >> might prevent them from running in an emulator.

    > My son is a Mac user,

    It takes a lot of courage to admit that in public.

    > so I couldn't resist having him try a Windows SDA
    > with his using Windows emulation - I was a little surprised that it
    > actually decrypted for him. So, now I wouldn't be surprised if it would
    > also go the other way.

    I'm not really all that surprised. I run Apple II emulation on my Win
    boxen for some games I got addicted to about a billion years ago, and
    I've found AppleWin, for example, to be fairly robust. It would surprise
    me if you *couldn't* find a Win emulator that would allow something as
    "simple" as an SDA to run. And visa versa. I'd have to assume once again
    that they're fairly task specific and resource light executables compared
    to even a rudimentary monochrome game...

    In any case it's good to know the kludge works. Something for the FWIW
    mental FAQ no doubt.

    --
    "I have no political ambitions for myself or my children."
    - Joseph P. Kennedy, 1936

+ Reply to Thread