"invalid trustdb" error. How to fix? - PGP

This is a discussion on "invalid trustdb" error. How to fix? - PGP ; Hi, folks. When I try to decrypt my tarballs with gpg I get this message: gpg: /home/dr/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: invalid file version 3 gpg: fatal: /home/dr/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: invalid trustdb secmem usage: 1920/2912 bytes in 5/8 blocks of pool 2976/16384 This started just after ...

  1. "invalid trustdb" error. How to fix?

    Hi, folks.

    When I try to decrypt my tarballs with gpg I get this message:

    gpg: /home/dr/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: invalid file version 3
    gpg: fatal: /home/dr/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: invalid trustdb
    secmem usage: 1920/2912 bytes in 5/8 blocks of pool 2976/16384

    This started just after I installed a gnupg encryption plug-in,
    Enigmail, into my mail program, Mozilla. I can still encrypt and
    decrypt mail. If I mail the tarballs to myself then Enigmail can
    decrypt them.

    But because I have a lot of tarballs, and because they are big, mailing
    every one seems impractical.

    Also, I can no longer encrypt from the CLI, I have to use Enigmail to
    encrypt.

    So my keys and passphrase still work, just not via CLI. What's wrong
    here, and how do I fix it?

    -- Damon
    damonriley@DONTSPAM.alumni.umass.edu
    remove the text between the @ and the word alumni to use that address

  2. Re: "invalid trustdb" error. How to fix?

  3. Re: "invalid trustdb" error. How to fix?

    Well, I didn't explicitly install a second gpg--the plug-in for Mozilla
    email encryption was, I thought, simply a front-end for the gpg I was
    already running. But perhaps Enigmail (the plug-in) generated a new
    trustdb? If it has, can the gpg be set to use the new one?
    -- Damon

    Neil W Rickert wrote:
    > Damon writes:
    >

    >>>When I try to decrypt my tarballs with gpg I get this message:

    >>>gpg: /home/dr/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: invalid file version 3
    >>>gpg: fatal: /home/dr/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: invalid trustdb
    >>>secmem usage: 1920/2912 bytes in 5/8 blocks of pool 2976/16384

    >>>This started just after I installed a gnupg encryption plug-in,
    >>>Enigmail, into my mail program, Mozilla. I can still encrypt and
    >>>decrypt mail. If I mail the tarballs to myself then Enigmail can
    >>>decrypt them.

    > Is it possible that you have two different gnupg versions installed,
    > one that works from the command line and another that works with
    > mail?

  4. Re: "invalid trustdb" error. How to fix?

    A new, incompatible version of trustdb was created when Engimail went
    in. By moving that trustdb file to a different directory and running
    gpg, gpg created a new trustdb file. All seems well, now.

    Damon wrote:
    > Well, I didn't explicitly install a second gpg--the plug-in for Mozilla
    > email encryption was, I thought, simply a front-end for the gpg I was
    > already running. But perhaps Enigmail (the plug-in) generated a new
    > trustdb? If it has, can the gpg be set to use the new one?
    > -- Damon
    >
    > Neil W Rickert wrote:

    >> Is it possible that you have two different gnupg versions installed,
    >> one that works from the command line and another that works with
    >> mail?

+ Reply to Thread