Confused about the Keys. - PGP

This is a discussion on Confused about the Keys. - PGP ; I'm new to PGP and trying to understand the foundations of it. Can anyone explain to me these terms that refer to keys below? I understand Private and Public Keys but I'm not sure about the terms below. Are they ...

  1. Confused about the Keys.

    I'm new to PGP and trying to understand the foundations of it.

    Can anyone explain to me these terms that refer to keys below? I
    understand Private and Public Keys but I'm not sure about the terms
    below. Are they another names for private and public keys or are these
    keys physically separate from private and public keys. I would
    appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.

    Signing Key
    Encryption Key
    Secret Key
    Master Key

  2. Re: Confused about the Keys.

  3. Re: Confused about the Keys.

    akasotia@guideone.com (Anand Kasotia) wrote in
    news:119cac4.0402120640.17935fe@posting.google.com :

    > Can anyone explain to me these terms that refer to keys below? I
    > understand Private and Public Keys but I'm not sure about the
    > terms below. Are they another names for private and public keys or
    > are these keys physically separate from private and public keys. I
    > would appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.
    >
    > Signing Key
    > Encryption Key
    > Secret Key
    > Master Key

    This is described a little in the "subkeys" section of Tom McCune's
    Webpage:

    HTH,
    John

  4. Re: Confused about the Keys.

    Anand Kasotia wrote:

    > I'm new to PGP and trying to understand the foundations of it.
    >
    > Can anyone explain to me these terms that refer to keys below? I
    > understand Private and Public Keys but I'm not sure about the terms
    > below. Are they another names for private and public keys or are these
    > keys physically separate from private and public keys. I would
    > appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.
    >
    > Signing Key

    Your private key

    > Encryption Key

    Someone else's public key (or your own public key if you want to
    keep an encrypted file of your own)

    > Secret Key

    Any private key

    > Master Key

    1. In an organization using ADK, the organization's key-pair
    (public and private).
    2. In any organization, the organization's key-pair. The private
    part of the pair is used to sign the keys of individuals within
    the organization to verify them. The public part is disseminated
    so that outsiders and insiders both can verify individual keys.
    Then, only the master key requires further verification for all
    keys in the organization to be verifiable.

    --

    David E. Ross

    complies with Web standards. See .

  5. Re: Confused about the Keys.