How to move keys to new computer? - PGP

This is a discussion on How to move keys to new computer? - PGP ; Hi, I've bought a new computer and with Windows 2000 loaded. How can I transfer the keys to the new one from an old Windows 98 computer? I just copied the 2 files and I can see keys appear in ...

  1. How to move keys to new computer?

    Hi,

    I've bought a new computer and with Windows 2000 loaded. How can I
    transfer the keys to the new one from an old Windows 98 computer? I
    just copied the 2 files and I can see keys appear in the list. But it
    keeps saying my passphase is wrong... Can somebody help? Thz.

    Sam

  2. Re: How to move keys to new computer?

  3. Re: How to move keys to new computer?

    > I've bought a new computer and with Windows 2000 loaded. How can I
    > transfer the keys to the new one from an old Windows 98 computer? I
    > just copied the 2 files and I can see keys appear in the list. But it
    > keeps saying my passphase is wrong... Can somebody help? Thz.

    Simple way (may not work) copy pubring.pkr and secring.skr over.
    Complex way: right click on key, choose export, tick the "include secret
    key" part, move it over, double-click on the file and it should import it
    properly. (then destroy the file)
    The only reason I can think of for a bad passphrase is if the version on the
    win2k computer doesn't support the key encryption algorithm you used. But I
    can't see why that would be.

  4. Re: How to move keys to new computer?

    MikeyD wrote in message news:<1076009578.12064.1@eunomia.uk.clara.net>...
    > > I've bought a new computer and with Windows 2000 loaded. How can I
    > > transfer the keys to the new one from an old Windows 98 computer? I
    > > just copied the 2 files and I can see keys appear in the list. But it
    > > keeps saying my passphase is wrong... Can somebody help? Thz.
    > >

    > Simple way (may not work) copy pubring.pkr and secring.skr over.
    > Complex way: right click on key, choose export, tick the "include secret
    > key" part, move it over, double-click on the file and it should import it
    > properly. (then destroy the file)
    > The only reason I can think of for a bad passphrase is if the version on the
    > win2k computer doesn't support the key encryption algorithm you used. But I
    > can't see why that would be.

    Hi,
    im having the same problem with a wrong passphase after importing my
    Gnupg generated secure key to some windows freeware pgp (NA,
    www.pgp.com) version 6.5.8..

    Im using KMail (latest KDE) with FreeBSD and also Apple OS X and
    Windows 2000 too.

    The Gnupg key works for OS X (10.3) as well as for KMail and both
    Gnupg versions (they differ somehow; the builds for Appls's Darwin are
    less frequent i think)

    Moreover, how to contact key server administrators to delete a old key
    form the database?

    I used to generate one or two keys and lost the passphase, so
    if somebody is looking up my email address for the public key,
    it gets a few public keys and that isnt really a clear and proper
    thing. Stupid.

    Thanks for help on this!

  5. Re: How to move keys to new computer?

  6. Re: How to move keys to new computer?

    lu.schreier@t-online.de (Ludwig Schreier) wrote in
    news:e156a913.0402291351.35e60cec@posting.google.c om:

    > im having the same problem with a wrong passphase after importing my
    > Gnupg generated secure key to some windows freeware pgp (NA,
    > www.pgp.com) version 6.5.8..

    It's possible you may be experiencing the problem described in:

    I recommend reading the above article for solution.

    [...]
    If you generate keys in...
    PGP 8.0.2
    PGP 6.5.8ckt build 09
    GnuPG 1.3.x
    GnuPG 1.2.2
    GnuPG 1.2.1
    GnuPG 1.2.0
    GnuPG 1.1.9.x
    GnuPG 1.0.7

    You may have problems using the secret keys in...
    PGP 7.1.x
    PGP 7.0.x
    PGP 6.5.x
    PGP 6.0.x
    PGP 5.5.x
    PGP 5.0
    PGP 2.6.x
    PGP 6.5.8ckt build 08 (& earlier)
    GnuPG 1.0.6 (& earlier)
    [...]

    HTH,
    John

  7. Re: How to move keys to new computer?

    MikeyD wrote in message news:<1076009578.12064.1@eunomia.uk.clara.net>...
    > > I've bought a new computer and with Windows 2000 loaded. How can I
    > > transfer the keys to the new one from an old Windows 98 computer? I
    > > just copied the 2 files and I can see keys appear in the list. But it
    > > keeps saying my passphase is wrong... Can somebody help? Thz.
    > >

    > Simple way (may not work) copy pubring.pkr and secring.skr over.
    > Complex way: right click on key, choose export, tick the "include secret
    > key" part, move it over, double-click on the file and it should import it
    > properly. (then destroy the file)
    > The only reason I can think of for a bad passphrase is if the version on the
    > win2k computer doesn't support the key encryption algorithm you used. But I
    > can't see why that would be.

    Solved. I installed an older version of PGP to the new computer. After
    I installed the same version of PGP, it works fine. Thanks very much
    for your help anyway.

  8. Re: How to move keys to new computer?

    cswong@engineer.com (Sam Wong) wrote in
    news:922d4861.0403012117.67607701@posting.google.c om:

    >> > I've bought a new computer and with Windows 2000 loaded. How can I
    >> > transfer the keys to the new one from an old Windows 98 computer? I
    >> > just copied the 2 files and I can see keys appear in the list. But
    >> > it keeps saying my passphase is wrong... Can somebody help? Thz.
    >> >

    >> Simple way (may not work) copy pubring.pkr and secring.skr over.
    >> Complex way: right click on key, choose export, tick the "include
    >> secret key" part, move it over, double-click on the file and it
    >> should import it properly. (then destroy the file)
    >> The only reason I can think of for a bad passphrase is if the version
    >> on the win2k computer doesn't support the key encryption algorithm
    >> you used. But I can't see why that would be.

    > Solved. I installed an older version of PGP to the new computer. After
    > I installed the same version of PGP, it works fine. Thanks very much
    > for your help anyway.

    Maybe this was the problem?:

    "PGP 8.0.2 (and above) generated DH/DSS private keys should not be usable
    in pre-8.0 versions; this also applies to DH/DSS keys generated in
    earlier PGP versions when the passphrase is changed in PGP 8.0.2. This
    is because of changes taken to resolve the Private Key Vulnerability. A
    way to resolve this is by removing the key's passphrase in PGP 8.x before
    exporting it for the earlier PGP version, and then restoring the
    passphrase from within the earlier PGP version."

    --
    Tom McCune

  9. Re: How to move keys to new computer?

    Tom McCune wrote in
    newsi_0c.104291$n62.6923@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    > Maybe this was the problem?:
    >
    > "PGP 8.0.2 (and above) generated DH/DSS private keys should not be
    > usable in pre-8.0 versions; this also applies to DH/DSS keys generated
    > in earlier PGP versions when the passphrase is changed in PGP 8.0.2.
    > This is because of changes taken to resolve the Private Key
    > Vulnerability. A way to resolve this is by removing the key's
    > passphrase in PGP 8.x before exporting it for the earlier PGP version,
    > and then restoring the passphrase from within the earlier PGP
    > version."

    Now that I reread this, I don't think so. :-)

    Maybe more like using an earlier version of 8.0.x, or having used a ckt
    build?

    --
    Tom McCune