PGP Mobile 2.0.2 with a PalmOS5 device - PGP

  2. Re: PGP Mobile 2.0.2 with a PalmOS5 device

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:40:58 -0600, Digitalicat wrote:

    > I recently upgraded to a shiny new PalmOne Tungsten T3 handheld.
    >
    > In the past, I've used PGP Mobile for PalmOS to great effect on a few
    > OS4 devices, but with my new OS5 handheld I've run into an issue.
    >
    > Anytime I'm prompted to "Tap Here" to generate random data, my new
    > handheld requires _a lot_ more taps than my two previous models.
    >
    > On my m515, PGP wanted 20 0r 30 taps to generate its data, but on my
    > new Tungsten PGP wants 100 or more.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this?
    >
    > Failing that, can anyone comment on other vault-style secure storage
    > programs (TealSafe, SplashID, etc.)?
    >
    > TIA

    I have found, at least within my mail program (SnapperMail), that when PGP
    Mobile asks for taps I give it a few, and then simply tap the Home button
    and that allows me to move along in the process. I've never actually
    tapped the square until it finished. It seems to generate a signed message
    fine, and functions as I expect. Bottom-line, PGP Corp just doesn't
    support PalmOS 5.

    I'm not aware of the other solutions (as I'm not in a big need of database
    encryption, and I have been using other "vault-style" programs since my
    PalmOS 3 days - so my data has moved along in those apps to my Sony NX73),
    but it appears that PGP Corp is blaming PalmOS 5 as being a "hack job" and
    "rushed" (those quote-snippets are from Will Price in a message to the PGP
    List - pgpusers - hosted by cryptorights.org.) and that they just can't
    really support PalmOS 5 for things like database encryption and such. I
    believe his comments were that it is not possible, yet I see programs like
    Xforcer, TealLock, PDA Defense and others that appear to be doing this on
    PalmOS 5 devices.

    It's sad that PGP Corp is taking that stand instead of working on a
    solution for those of us that invested in their technology. More and more,
    I'm realizing I won't be spending any more money with them on their
    products. GnuPG is an acceptable desktop solution, and other Palm
    developers appear to be working through any issues in supporting PalmOS 5.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread