Difference between MIT PGP Freeware and PGP Mail Freeware - PGP

This is a discussion on Difference between MIT PGP Freeware and PGP Mail Freeware - PGP ; What is the difference between the MIT PGP Freeware ( http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html ) and the PGPMail Freeware ( http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware.html ) in terms of security and compatibility? I want to easily integrate PGP into Outlook and Outlook Express, but only the MIT ...

  1. Difference between MIT PGP Freeware and PGP Mail Freeware

    What is the difference between the MIT PGP Freeware (
    http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html ) and the PGPMail Freeware (
    http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware.html ) in terms of security and
    compatibility?

    I want to easily integrate PGP into Outlook and Outlook Express, but only
    the MIT version offers that feature for free. However, it seems as if the
    MIT version hasn't been updated since the year 2000, and is at version
    6.5.8. Is it as secure as PGPMail, which is at version 8.0.3?

    Do both versions do a good job of working with keys from the other, and GNU
    PGP?

    Also- does the MIT PGP version of any plans to work with XP and OE 6, or
    does it, and they just don't say so on the site.

    Thanks,
    Erik

  2. Re: Difference between MIT PGP Freeware and PGP Mail Freeware

  3. Re: Difference between MIT PGP Freeware and PGP Mail Freeware

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:10:51 GMT, "Erik Weiss"
    wrote:

    >Also- does the MIT PGP version of any plans to work with XP and OE 6, or
    >does it, and they just don't say so on the site.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Erik

    6.5.8 works great on all 3 of my XP machines. I get email plug-ins
    for free and it uses the "standard" RSA and/or DH/DSS encryption.

    --
    ET's PGP Public Key:
    http://members.aol.com/eetee/PublicKey/publickey.htm

  4. Re: Difference between MIT PGP Freeware and PGP Mail Freeware

  5. Re: Difference between MIT PGP Freeware and PGP Mail Freeware

    > What is the difference between the MIT PGP Freeware (
    > http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html ) and the PGPMail Freeware (
    > http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware.html ) in terms of security and
    > compatibility?

    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/pgp-summ.htm has a good guide. IIRC there
    were no completely new features in 8.x, just additional algorithms.

    > I want to easily integrate PGP into Outlook and Outlook Express, but only
    > the MIT version offers that feature for free. However, it seems as if the
    > MIT version hasn't been updated since the year 2000, and is at version
    > 6.5.8. Is it as secure as PGPMail, which is at version 8.0.3?

    Generally yes it's just as secure. I can't remember if it suffers from the
    multiple key id vulnerability, where you can get a key to appear to be
    signed with a different identity to the one that was signed, but other than
    that it's fine.

    > Do both versions do a good job of working with keys from the other, and
    > GNU PGP?

    Yes, see the website above.

    > Also- does the MIT PGP version of any plans to work with XP and OE 6, or
    > does it, and they just don't say so on the site.

    It doesn't work with OE 6. The only free versions that will do that are the
    ckt builds. Don't know about XP.

+ Reply to Thread