secure email services - PGP

This is a discussion on secure email services - PGP ; Has anyone here tried (an willing to share opinions) on Securenym (securenym.net) and/or Co-Mail (co-main.com). Our group has been using pgp for 6+ years but we want to add a solution which also encrypts transmission of passwords, etc. to our ...

  1. secure email services

    Has anyone here tried (an willing to share
    opinions) on Securenym (securenym.net) and/or
    Co-Mail (co-main.com). Our group has been using
    pgp for 6+ years but we want to add a solution
    which also encrypts transmission of passwords,
    etc. to our isp's and doesn't reveal subject
    lines, etc.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: secure email services

    In article ,
    no_replies@verizon.com says...
    > Has anyone here tried (an willing to share
    > opinions) on Securenym (securenym.net) and/or
    > Co-Mail (co-main.com). Our group has been using
    > pgp for 6+ years but we want to add a solution
    > which also encrypts transmission of passwords,
    > etc. to our isp's and doesn't reveal subject
    > lines, etc.
    >
    > Thanks.

    As to the transmission of passwords, I'm guessing that you're talking about
    the password that your systems use to login to the POP3 server at the ISP?
    (sounds like your e-mail boxes are hosted at an ISP?)

    That attack vector could be fixed using SSH or a more secure version of POP3
    (I think there's an encrypted POP3 port?). But either your current ISP
    would need to provide the service, or you'll have to shop around for an ISP
    that does.

    The other option, of course, would be to maintain your own mail server where
    e-mail between others within your group would never leave the mail server
    and you would have control over using SSH, or the other more secure e-mail
    protocols.

  3. Re: secure email services

    "Toshi1873" wrote in
    message
    om...

    ,
    > no_replies@verizon.com says...
    > > Has anyone here tried (an willing to share
    > > opinions) on Securenym (securenym.net) and/or
    > > Co-Mail (co-main.com). Our group has been

    using
    > > pgp for 6+ years but we want to add a solution
    > > which also encrypts transmission of passwords,
    > > etc. to our isp's and doesn't reveal subject
    > > lines, etc.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > As to the transmission of passwords, I'm

    guessing that you're talking about
    > the password that your systems use to login to

    the POP3 server at the ISP?
    > (sounds like your e-mail boxes are hosted at an

    ISP?)

    That's correct. I should have mentioned that we
    are a "virtual company" with our employees all
    working their own office or homes. Mostly, they
    use either dsl from the local telco or cable
    modem.

    > That attack vector could be fixed using SSH or a

    more secure version of POP3
    > (I think there's an encrypted POP3 port?). But

    either your current ISP
    > would need to provide the service, or you'll

    have to shop around for an ISP
    > that does.

    The two companies I mentioned above do that, and
    at least Co-Mail says it will run a "virtual
    mailserver" with the same encryption features.
    Couple of our people have been using Mutemail, but
    find that way too much mail is being blocked (in
    particular by AOL). At least with my "ordinary"
    isp, I get a notice if my mail doesn't go through.
    Mutemail has been totally unresponsive: they don't
    even reply to inquiries to their support. Hence we
    are shopping for an alternative.

    > The other option, of course, would be to

    maintain your own mail server where
    > e-mail between others within your group would

    never leave the mail server
    > and you would have control over using SSH, or

    the other more secure e-mail
    > protocols.

    If we ran our own mailserver, would it also be
    easy also for outsiders to send us mail using SSH?
    (I would guess not because they are still going
    through their own isp's and I don't think we want
    to start having customers and suppliers using our
    mailserver.)

    Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
    Bill

  4. Re: secure email services

    bill wrote:
    > "Toshi1873" wrote in
    > message
    > om...
    >> In article

    > ,
    >> no_replies@verizon.com says...
    >>> Has anyone here tried (an willing to share
    >>> opinions) on Securenym (securenym.net) and/or
    >>> Co-Mail (co-main.com). Our group has been using
    >>> pgp for 6+ years but we want to add a solution
    >>> which also encrypts transmission of passwords,
    >>> etc. to our isp's and doesn't reveal subject
    >>> lines, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> As to the transmission of passwords, I'm

    > guessing that you're talking about
    >> the password that your systems use to login to the POP3 server at
    >> the ISP? (sounds like your e-mail boxes are hosted at an ISP?)

    > That's correct. I should have mentioned that we
    > are a "virtual company" with our employees all
    > working their own office or homes. Mostly, they
    > use either dsl from the local telco or cable
    > modem.
    >
    >> That attack vector could be fixed using SSH or a more secure version
    >> of POP3 (I think there's an encrypted POP3 port?). But either your
    >> current ISP would need to provide the service, or you'll have to
    >> shop around for an ISP that does.

    > The two companies I mentioned above do that, and
    > at least Co-Mail says it will run a "virtual
    > mailserver" with the same encryption features.
    > Couple of our people have been using Mutemail, but
    > find that way too much mail is being blocked (in
    > particular by AOL). At least with my "ordinary"
    > isp, I get a notice if my mail doesn't go through.
    > Mutemail has been totally unresponsive: they don't
    > even reply to inquiries to their support. Hence we
    > are shopping for an alternative.
    >>
    >> The other option, of course, would be to

    > maintain your own mail server where
    >> e-mail between others within your group would never leave the mail
    >> server and you would have control over using SSH, or the other more
    >> secure e-mail protocols.

    > If we ran our own mailserver, would it also be
    > easy also for outsiders to send us mail using SSH?
    > (I would guess not because they are still going
    > through their own isp's and I don't think we want
    > to start having customers and suppliers using our
    > mailserver.)
    >
    > Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
    > Bill

    If you run your own mail server, which wouldn't be too difficult/expensive
    then bring all your users in on VPN would that solve your problem ?

    --

    Alan

+ Reply to Thread