PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete - PGP

  2. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete

    "Tom McCune" wrote in message
    news:zMMEb.36170$JW3.21949@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    [...]

    > For a long time on my laptop with WinXP SP1, NTFS formatted, I've had
    > problems with being able to delete files - they would often appear
    > deleted, but still be there and be apparent with a refresh of the folder.
    > I thought it was a permissions issue and/or due to normally using a
    > limited user account. It just recently dawned on me that this might be
    > related to PGP's auto wipe on delete. I've been testing this now, and I
    > can turn this problem on or off by activating or deactivating PGP's auto
    > wipe on delete. I'm currently using the newer build of 8.0.3, but know
    > the
    > problem has been there well before this version. Have others had this
    > experience?

    have not seen this,

    am using win xp pro (2002) SP1 (ntfs) and pgp 8.0.3
    (and, do not know if this is a factor at all, but since you mention
    'laptop',
    am using a desktop with an athlon processor)

    upon deleting a file, with pgp set to autowipe on delete:

    in windows explorer, right-clicking on the file, and clicking delete,
    the file is deleted, and not listed in windows explorer,
    even on refresh or re-opening windows explorer,

    upon encrypting a file from explorer, and choosing to 'wipe original'
    the name of the original file is still present in explorer until refreshed
    / re-opened
    and then not present at all open refreshing / re-opening

    *but*

    all 'deleted' files , even with autowipe on delete,
    *are* recoverable _intact_ from the recycle bin!

    choosing pgp 'wipe' from the context menu, instead of 'delete'
    makes them both not visible in explorer, and not recoverable from the
    recycle bin

    vedaal

  3. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete

  4. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:46:28 GMT, Tom McCune
    wrote:

    > PGP "Auto wipe on delete" does not remove the use of the Recycle Bin, so
    > your results are also what I experience when not using Shift-Delete for
    > the file removal. But I do not like messing with the Recycle Bin, so
    > only delete to it when I want to be cautious with deleting particular
    > files. I guess that I will start a trial of not bypassing the Recycle
    > Bin, and try remembering to have to regularly empty the Recycle Bin
    > (which is when the the files in the Recycle Bin are actually
    > overwritten).

    Everything seems to work fine with the Recycle Bin disabled (which I have
    by default) on XP Home.

    Michael

    --
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail:

  5. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete

    Michael in der Wiesche <---idw.doc---@t-online.de> wrote in

    > Everything seems to work fine with the Recycle Bin disabled (which I have
    > by default) on XP Home.

    Thanks Michael,

    I just tried disabling the Recycle Bin, and the result is the same as when
    I just bypass it. Is yours on FAT32 or NTFS?

    --
    Tom McCune

  6. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:14:09 GMT, Tom McCune
    wrote:

    > Michael in der Wiesche <---idw.doc---@t-online.de> wrote in
    >
    > > Everything seems to work fine with the Recycle Bin disabled (which I have
    > > by default) on XP Home.

    > Thanks Michael,
    >
    > I just tried disabling the Recycle Bin, and the result is the same as when
    > I just bypass it. Is yours on FAT32 or NTFS?

    Fully patched NTFS. I only have to refresh the folder view, the original
    file is gone and cannot be recovered using Norton's undelete utility.

    Michael

    --
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail:

  7. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete

    > Fully patched NTFS. I only have to refresh the folder view, the original
    > file is gone and cannot be recovered using Norton's undelete utility.

    Ok. Thank you. It would be interesting if I'm the only one with the
    problem. :-)

    --
    Tom McCune

  8. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:54:01 GMT, Tom McCune
    wrote:

    > Ok. Thank you. It would be interesting if I'm the only one with the
    > problem. :-)

    Any chance that an AV-scanner is involved?

    Michael

    --
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail:

  9. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:07:23 +0100, Michael in der Wiesche
    <---idw.doc---@t-online.de> wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:54:01 GMT, Tom McCune
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Ok. Thank you. It would be interesting if I'm the only one with the
    > > problem. :-)

    > Any chance that an AV-scanner is involved?

    And I always keep "write behind caching" disabled (I just don't trust it).

    Michael

    --
    PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
    PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail:

  10. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete

    >> Any chance that an AV-scanner is involved?

    I just tried disabling NAV2002 - it made no difference.

    > And I always keep "write behind caching" disabled (I just don't trust
    > it).

    I like to disable write caching on removable media, but haven't on the hard
    disk. I'm sure most people leave this setting alone, so that seems
    unlikely to explain the problem.

    --
    Tom McCune

  11. Re: PGP 8.x Auto wipe on delete