Assistance for a newcomer to PGP - PGP

This is a discussion on Assistance for a newcomer to PGP - PGP ; Hi, Sorry if this is the wrong NG, but from the PGP NG's my newsserver has, this looked to be the best one. I'm new to PGP and am experimenting with it. I downloaded one PGP program from www.pgp.com and ...

  1. Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

    Hi,

    Sorry if this is the wrong NG, but from the PGP NG's my newsserver has, this
    looked to be the best one.

    I'm new to PGP and am experimenting with it. I downloaded one PGP program
    from www.pgp.com and another from the MIT distribution site (PGP Freeware).
    I installed Freeware.

    I created a key but I've been having some trouble integrating it with
    Outlook Express XP, it keeps on asking me for a digital ID. Do I need a
    *seperate* digital ID for this?

    I'm a bit new to PGP and would appreciate it if someone could point me in
    the right direction (I'm sure there is a website, but the plethora of
    information available online has me swamped).

    Thanks,
    Adam

  2. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

    Adam Steiner wrote:

    > Sorry if this is the wrong NG, but from the PGP NG's my newsserver
    > has, this looked to be the best one.

    Hi Adam,

    You found the right place (another good PGP NG is alt.security.pgp).
    You might also be interested in a very helpful PGP email list called
    "PGP-Basics". Here's the subscription mailto for PGP-Basics:

    mailto:PGP-Basics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

    > I'm new to PGP and am experimenting with it. I downloaded one PGP
    > program from www.pgp.com and another from the MIT distribution site
    > (PGP Freeware). I installed Freeware.

    If you installed the freeware you obtained from the MIT site (v6.5.8),
    I might recommend un-installing it and installing instead the latest
    freeware, which is v8.0.3 (I assume this is the one you downloaded
    from the pgp.com site). v8.0.3 includes several fixes that were not
    applied to v6.5.8.

    > I created a key but I've been having some trouble integrating it
    > with Outlook Express XP, it keeps on asking me for a digital ID. Do
    > I need a seperate digital ID for this?

    A few issues here...

    If you installed v6.5.8 freeware, while it has an OE plug-in, v6.5.8
    probably shouldn't be run on WinXP. Then, about the "digital ID" OE
    is asking for...

    OE has integrated "S/MIME" signature/encryption, which uses X.509
    certificates. This is what it's asking for. This is completely
    separate from PGP (S/MIME has its own signature/encryption buttons on
    the toolbar). If you did install a version of PGP with an OE
    plug-in, and if you don't see the *PGP* signature/encryption buttons
    on the toolbar, it could be because the icons you already have on the
    toolbar are taking up too much space, so the PGP icons won't be
    visible (they would be all the way to the right if you could see
    them, I think).

    I did mention that I thought it would be better to install v8.0.3
    rather than v6.5.8. If you want to use v8.0.3 in "freeware" mode,
    you cannot install the email client plug-ins or PGPdisk (though
    you'll see these listed during installation, be sure to un-check any
    that may be checked before you proceed further with the
    installation).

    Even without the plug-in, you can still use PGP with your OE, or any
    other email client or text editor, via the PGPtray menus and the
    Current Window HotKeys (see PGPtray/Options/HotKeys to enable those).

    If v6.5.8 is the version you installed, if you un-install it
    preparation for installing v8.0.3, your keyrings will not be
    un-installed. Before you un-install 6.5.8, go to
    PGPtray/Options/Files, and see where your keyrings are. When you
    then install v8.0.3, at one point, it will ask you if you have
    existing keyrings. Choose "yes", then point to them when it gets to
    that bit.

    I hope this helps.

    - --
    Melissa

  3. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

    Adam Steiner writes:

    > I created a key but I've been having some trouble integrating it with
    > Outlook Express XP, it keeps on asking me for a digital ID. Do I need a
    > *seperate* digital ID for this?

    Outlook Express provides native support for S/MIME, which is a different
    kind of cryptosystem. The Digital ID you are being asked for is a
    S/MIME key.

    Some versions of PGP integrate with OE; most don't. Instead, to use
    PGP, you typically copy messages to the clipboard to encrypt, decrypt,
    or sign them, then copy them back. The paid version of PGP 8.x includes
    buttons integrated into Outlook Express that simplify this process a
    bit.

  4. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

    "Adam Steiner" wrote in
    news:42faa667b91e8732725bb5838ce912a5@news.teranew s.com:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry if this is the wrong NG, but from the PGP NG's my newsserver
    > has, this looked to be the best one.
    >
    > I'm new to PGP and am experimenting with it. I downloaded one PGP
    > program from www.pgp.com and another from the MIT distribution site
    > (PGP Freeware). I installed Freeware.
    >
    > I created a key but I've been having some trouble integrating it with
    > Outlook Express XP, it keeps on asking me for a digital ID. Do I need
    > a *seperate* digital ID for this?
    >
    > I'm a bit new to PGP and would appreciate it if someone could point me
    > in the right direction (I'm sure there is a website, but the plethora
    > of information available online has me swamped).

    I just want to add that the Documentation that is installed with PGP, is
    the best single source of PGP information. It's large and takes time to
    read through, but is terrific information.

    --
    Tom McCune

  5. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

    Thanks Melissa (and everyone else that replied).

    --Adam

    "Melissa" wrote in message

    > Adam Steiner wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry if this is the wrong NG, but from the PGP NG's my newsserver
    > > has, this looked to be the best one.

    > Hi Adam,
    >
    > You found the right place (another good PGP NG is alt.security.pgp).
    > You might also be interested in a very helpful PGP email list called
    > "PGP-Basics". Here's the subscription mailto for PGP-Basics:
    >
    > mailto:PGP-Basics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    >
    > > I'm new to PGP and am experimenting with it. I downloaded one PGP
    > > program from www.pgp.com and another from the MIT distribution site
    > > (PGP Freeware). I installed Freeware.

    > If you installed the freeware you obtained from the MIT site (v6.5.8),
    > I might recommend un-installing it and installing instead the latest
    > freeware, which is v8.0.3 (I assume this is the one you downloaded
    > from the pgp.com site). v8.0.3 includes several fixes that were not
    > applied to v6.5.8.
    >
    > > I created a key but I've been having some trouble integrating it
    > > with Outlook Express XP, it keeps on asking me for a digital ID. Do
    > > I need a seperate digital ID for this?

    > A few issues here...
    >
    > If you installed v6.5.8 freeware, while it has an OE plug-in, v6.5.8
    > probably shouldn't be run on WinXP. Then, about the "digital ID" OE
    > is asking for...
    >
    > OE has integrated "S/MIME" signature/encryption, which uses X.509
    > certificates. This is what it's asking for. This is completely
    > separate from PGP (S/MIME has its own signature/encryption buttons on
    > the toolbar). If you did install a version of PGP with an OE
    > plug-in, and if you don't see the *PGP* signature/encryption buttons
    > on the toolbar, it could be because the icons you already have on the
    > toolbar are taking up too much space, so the PGP icons won't be
    > visible (they would be all the way to the right if you could see
    > them, I think).
    >
    > I did mention that I thought it would be better to install v8.0.3
    > rather than v6.5.8. If you want to use v8.0.3 in "freeware" mode,
    > you cannot install the email client plug-ins or PGPdisk (though
    > you'll see these listed during installation, be sure to un-check any
    > that may be checked before you proceed further with the
    > installation).
    >
    > Even without the plug-in, you can still use PGP with your OE, or any
    > other email client or text editor, via the PGPtray menus and the
    > Current Window HotKeys (see PGPtray/Options/HotKeys to enable those).
    >
    > If v6.5.8 is the version you installed, if you un-install it
    > preparation for installing v8.0.3, your keyrings will not be
    > un-installed. Before you un-install 6.5.8, go to
    > PGPtray/Options/Files, and see where your keyrings are. When you
    > then install v8.0.3, at one point, it will ask you if you have
    > existing keyrings. Choose "yes", then point to them when it gets to
    > that bit.
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > - --
    > Melissa

  6. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP - Update

    Hi Melissa,

    You were write, the earlier version of PGP wasn't running on XP, although it
    did allow me to create a key.

    In terms of newer versions, and the security updates which accompany them,
    can I assume that these don't affect the implementation of the PGP key
    creation (ie the keys created with earlier versions are just as secure) or
    would I need to create new keys upon an upgrade?

    Lastly (I'm waiting for the Yahoo group to go through) how many bytes do you
    recommend for the key, assuming it is just for emails? I've noticed that
    your PGP signature at the end of the email (which I assume is your public
    key?) doesn't seem as long as the key I created (which was a 2,048 bit key).
    I also don't recall seeing an option for SHA1 or MD5 hashes, just things
    like DH/DSS.

    If these are the questions that will be answered in the Yahoo group, just
    let me know and I'll wait for it to come through.

    Thanks,
    Adam

    "Melissa" wrote in message

    > Adam Steiner wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry if this is the wrong NG, but from the PGP NG's my newsserver
    > > has, this looked to be the best one.

    > Hi Adam,
    >
    > You found the right place (another good PGP NG is alt.security.pgp).
    > You might also be interested in a very helpful PGP email list called
    > "PGP-Basics". Here's the subscription mailto for PGP-Basics:
    >
    > mailto:PGP-Basics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    >
    > > I'm new to PGP and am experimenting with it. I downloaded one PGP
    > > program from www.pgp.com and another from the MIT distribution site
    > > (PGP Freeware). I installed Freeware.

    > If you installed the freeware you obtained from the MIT site (v6.5.8),
    > I might recommend un-installing it and installing instead the latest
    > freeware, which is v8.0.3 (I assume this is the one you downloaded
    > from the pgp.com site). v8.0.3 includes several fixes that were not
    > applied to v6.5.8.
    >
    > > I created a key but I've been having some trouble integrating it
    > > with Outlook Express XP, it keeps on asking me for a digital ID. Do
    > > I need a seperate digital ID for this?

    > A few issues here...
    >
    > If you installed v6.5.8 freeware, while it has an OE plug-in, v6.5.8
    > probably shouldn't be run on WinXP. Then, about the "digital ID" OE
    > is asking for...
    >
    > OE has integrated "S/MIME" signature/encryption, which uses X.509
    > certificates. This is what it's asking for. This is completely
    > separate from PGP (S/MIME has its own signature/encryption buttons on
    > the toolbar). If you did install a version of PGP with an OE
    > plug-in, and if you don't see the *PGP* signature/encryption buttons
    > on the toolbar, it could be because the icons you already have on the
    > toolbar are taking up too much space, so the PGP icons won't be
    > visible (they would be all the way to the right if you could see
    > them, I think).
    >
    > I did mention that I thought it would be better to install v8.0.3
    > rather than v6.5.8. If you want to use v8.0.3 in "freeware" mode,
    > you cannot install the email client plug-ins or PGPdisk (though
    > you'll see these listed during installation, be sure to un-check any
    > that may be checked before you proceed further with the
    > installation).
    >
    > Even without the plug-in, you can still use PGP with your OE, or any
    > other email client or text editor, via the PGPtray menus and the
    > Current Window HotKeys (see PGPtray/Options/HotKeys to enable those).
    >
    > If v6.5.8 is the version you installed, if you un-install it
    > preparation for installing v8.0.3, your keyrings will not be
    > un-installed. Before you un-install 6.5.8, go to
    > PGPtray/Options/Files, and see where your keyrings are. When you
    > then install v8.0.3, at one point, it will ask you if you have
    > existing keyrings. Choose "yes", then point to them when it gets to
    > that bit.
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    >
    > - --
    > Melissa

  7. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

  8. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

    Melissa wrote in news:br01pn$26ftak$1
    @ID-95426.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > I often enough find myself browsing through the documentation while
    > looking for an answer to someone's question. The irony of me doing
    > this does not escape me. :-)

    I can relate to this. More frequently, I search my own web pages, but at
    least with them, I have a pretty good idea of where to look.

    --
    Tom McCune

  9. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

  10. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

  11. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP - Update

  12. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

  13. Re: Assistance for a newcomer to PGP

+ Reply to Thread