How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro? - PGP

This is a discussion on How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro? - PGP ; I have PGP 7.0.3Free installed on my desktop (XP Pro) and now I wanted to also install to my laptop. But the installer quits saying it cannot installon this OS. This is strange since I know I have it installed ...

  1. How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

    I have PGP 7.0.3Free installed on my desktop (XP Pro) and now I wanted
    to also install to my laptop. But the installer quits saying it cannot
    installon this OS. This is strange since I know I have it installed on
    my desktop (use it daily).
    I got this XP machine about 2 years ago now and it has never had any
    earlier OS on it so it is not a migration machine where the old PGP
    install just was updated.
    Is there a trick to apply that I have now forgotten to make it install
    anyway? I only want the email protection including the Outlook2000
    plug-in, but I never use PGP.disk or any of these functions.

    And I need 7.0.3 because with 8.0.x they disabled the Outlook
    plug-in...

    Grateful for any tip on how to do.

    /Bo

    Bo Berglund
    bo.berglund@telia.com

  2. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

    Found the "solution" here:
    http://www.mccune.cc/WinXPsp1.txt

    /Bo

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:28:26 GMT, Bo Berglund
    wrote:

    >I have PGP 7.0.3Free installed on my desktop (XP Pro) and now I wanted
    >to also install to my laptop. But the installer quits saying it cannot
    >installon this OS. This is strange since I know I have it installed on
    >my desktop (use it daily).
    >I got this XP machine about 2 years ago now and it has never had any
    >earlier OS on it so it is not a migration machine where the old PGP
    >install just was updated.
    >Is there a trick to apply that I have now forgotten to make it install
    >anyway? I only want the email protection including the Outlook2000
    >plug-in, but I never use PGP.disk or any of these functions.
    >
    >And I need 7.0.3 because with 8.0.x they disabled the Outlook
    >plug-in...
    >
    >Grateful for any tip on how to do.
    >
    >/Bo
    >
    >Bo Berglund
    >bo.berglund@telia.com

    Bo Berglund
    bo.berglund@telia.com

  3. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

  4. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

  5. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:16:39 -0800, Melissa
    wrote:

    >Well, do you really?
    >
    >Since v7.0.3 (which also happens to have no source code available for
    >review), there have been some vulnerability fixes, and these are not
    >available for patching v7.0.3. You can still use PGP v8 freeware with
    >Outlook or any other email client by using the PGPtray menus or
    >HotKeys.
    >
    >I guess it comes to this...are you willing to do without better
    >security for the sake of a minor convenience?

    I stopped using PGP for communications with my collegues a long time
    ago after struggling with getting the PGP system to handle the Outlook
    Rich Text formats. We always use this format when communicating and it
    was a real pain in the butt that PGP 6.x always removes it and turns
    the message into plaintext. After trying all kinds of procedures
    including aleways writing in attached word files we gave up.

    Only this week I found out that 7.0.3 actually has integrated Outlook
    2000 support and the rich text is now properly handled.
    So this is NOT a minor convenience, without it I cannot get anyone to
    use PGP at all. It is simply too inconvenient.
    And the source code *is* available from www.pgpi.org too if anyone
    cares, as well as at least two hotfixes.
    As I replied to this thread yesterday too, there is a workaround for
    installing on XP SP1 that actually works.

    Bo

    Bo Berglund
    bo.berglund@telia.com

  6. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

  7. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

    Bo Berglund writes:

    > I stopped using PGP for communications with my collegues a long time
    > ago after struggling with getting the PGP system to handle the Outlook
    > Rich Text formats. We always use this format when communicating and it
    > was a real pain in the butt that PGP 6.x always removes it and turns
    > the message into plaintext.

    If rich text is more important to you than security, then you were right
    to stop using PGP.

    > So this is NOT a minor convenience, without it I cannot get anyone to
    > use PGP at all. It is simply too inconvenient.

    See above.

  8. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

  9. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:19:33 -0800, Melissa
    wrote:

    >PGP is a "security" program. Fixes to possible *vulnerabilities* are
    >pretty important for a security program, no? It's up to you, but it
    >does seem to me that you're still choosing convenience over security.
    >
    >So...if it's only "convenient" to use a less secure security program,
    >what's the point? Is it more important to have the "appearance" of
    >security, or to *have* security? (at least the most secure version to
    >date without any *known* vulnerabilities as yet, which is
    >v8.0.3...not v7.0.3).

    The whole point here is that in order to use PGP earlier we had to go
    back from Outlook Rich Text format to plaintext messages. THis in
    itself made the email communication so much less convenient since
    there is then no way to easily see embedded comments in replies and
    each attachment had to be individually saved to disk and decrypted
    before use.
    Non-engineer users could not do this routinely and they also would not
    stop putting in embedded comments because they had their Outlook set
    up such that they actually saw plaintext messages in a kind of rich
    text view so their replies got colored in their editing window. Of
    course PGP then removed this and the recipient had a real hard time
    finding comments.
    So we could not continue using PGP because of all the hazzle.

    And myself being a software engineer I could not understand why the
    PGP plug-in for Outlook could not handle the winmai.dat attached file
    that signals rich text format and decrypt it and send it to Outlook.
    But that is probably what has been done in PGP 7 then.

    Anyway, this is not religious, we have a choice of:
    - Using PGP 7 with an Outlook plug in that actually works
    or
    - Not using encryption at all

    I feel that if we cannot protect against CIA, FBI or KGB breaking our
    communications we don't care as long as the casual snooper is stopped
    by the PGP encryption. So using 7.0.3 or 8.0.3 is really a moot
    question for us except that there is no free version of 8.0.3 with an
    Outlook Plug-in...

    So my original question about how to install on XP (which I
    subsequently found a solution for) is what counts here. And what I
    originally posted for. Flames not searched.

    Bo Berglund
    bo.berglund@telia.com

  10. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

    Bo Berglund writes:

    > Anyway, this is not religious, we have a choice of:
    > - Using PGP 7 with an Outlook plug in that actually works
    > or
    > - Not using encryption at all

    You can use Outlook Express with the built-in S/MIME support, although
    you'll have to buy or generate certificates for everyone in the
    organization. It's very easy to use (easier than PGP), and it supports
    rich text, as far as I know. It probably isn't as secure as
    implemented, but it's more than enough to stop casual snoopers.

  11. Re: How to install PGP 7.0.3 on Win XP Pro?

    I thisk it is very strange that someone intersted in cryptography etc
    is actualy using the outlook and its ritch text which can be read by
    other outlook only????!!! :-)))

    how can someone use that junk at all?

    On my forwarding filters I set all that way so such junk does not even
    pass.

    Otto Sykora
    bggbflxben@tzk.pu (ROT13)

+ Reply to Thread