Mass signing in GnuPG 1.2 for Windows - PGP

This is a discussion on Mass signing in GnuPG 1.2 for Windows - PGP ; I need to detached-sign multiple files at once, such as a couple of hundred JPG files in a directory. I can't figure out how to do that in GnuPG 1.2, which I am using in the DOS box. Any help ...

  1. Mass signing in GnuPG 1.2 for Windows

    I need to detached-sign multiple files at once, such as a couple of
    hundred JPG files in a directory. I can't figure out how to do that in
    GnuPG 1.2, which I am using in the DOS box. Any help would be much
    appreciated.

    All that happens now is that I am asked for the passphrase protecting
    the secret key and that in my FOR IN ... DO the program tries to sign
    detached signatures it has just created, which means that the signing
    process ,even if I could get beyond entering the passphrase for each
    file, would never end.

  2. Re: Mass signing in GnuPG 1.2 for Windows

    "David G. O. Smith" writes:

    >I need to detached-sign multiple files at once, such as a couple of
    >hundred JPG files in a directory. I can't figure out how to do that in
    >GnuPG 1.2, which I am using in the DOS box. Any help would be much
    >appreciated.

    I use a script to do that on unix. I set my script to use pgp5,
    rather than GnuPG. The reason is that with GnuPG, pgp2, or pgp6, I
    have to re-enter my passphrase for every file. But pgp5 allows me to
    enter it once to sign all files.

    >All that happens now is that I am asked for the passphrase protecting
    >the secret key and that in my FOR IN ... DO the program tries to sign
    >detached signatures it has just created, which means that the signing
    >process ,even if I could get beyond entering the passphrase for each
    >file, would never end.

    Ouch. That seems to be a case of DOS brokenness.

    Can't you use something like

    for %i in (*.jpg) do ...

    so that it won't match the ".sig" (or ".asc") files?

  3. Re: Mass signing in GnuPG 1.2 for Windows

    "David G. O. Smith" wrote in

    > I need to detached-sign multiple files at once, such as a couple
    > of hundred JPG files in a directory. I can't figure out how to do
    > that in GnuPG 1.2, which I am using in the DOS box. Any help would
    > be much appreciated.

    If you use GPGShell in concert with GnuPG, you can do this easily.
    GPGShell has an option to remember passwords for signing. All you have
    to do is right-click on the GPGTray icon, select File-->Sign(detached),
    select as many files as you want in a file selection window, enter your
    password, and the rest is history. Then clear the passphrase when
    done. No DOS script-writing required.

    GPGShell available at:

    HTH,
    John

  4. Re: Mass signing in GnuPG 1.2 for Windows

    David G. O. Smith wrote:

    > I need to detached-sign multiple files at once, such as a couple of
    > hundred JPG files in a directory. I can't figure out how to do that in
    > GnuPG 1.2, which I am using in the DOS box. Any help would be much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > All that happens now is that I am asked for the passphrase protecting
    > the secret key and that in my FOR IN ... DO the program tries to sign
    > detached signatures it has just created, which means that the signing
    > process ,even if I could get beyond entering the passphrase for each
    > file, would never end.

    FOR %PICTURE IN *.JPG GPG --batch --passphrase-fd {n} -sb %PICTURE ought to
    work.

+ Reply to Thread