Digital IDs and Outlook Express? - PGP

This is a discussion on Digital IDs and Outlook Express? - PGP ; I'm using PGP (8.02) for the first time. No problem encrypting files, etc. but when I try to send encrypted test email to myself with Outlook Express a dialogue pops up telling me that OE cannot find a digital ID ...

  1. Digital IDs and Outlook Express?

    I'm using PGP (8.02) for the first time. No problem encrypting files,
    etc. but when I try to send encrypted test email to myself with Outlook
    Express a dialogue pops up telling me that OE cannot find a digital ID
    for the recipient and I am thereafter unable to send the email.

    I have, of course, generated a key pair for myself. The documentation
    states that I may need to use the recipient selection screen. This
    screen does not appear automatically nor can I force it to appear by
    pressing shift when I click send.

    Can any of you PGP mavens help this newbie out?

  2. Re: Digital IDs and Outlook Express?

  3. Re: Digital IDs and Outlook Express?

    Richard Hunt wrote:

    > Sure; some of us actually use OE (and won't even suggest you change
    > email clients).

    I'm an OE hater myself. Why I'm using it in this instance is a long
    story; I won't bore you with it.

    > Finally, be aware that the OE plug-in buttons are not part of
    > freeware--they are available only if you have a personal or higher
    > license. :-) Freeware needs to use current window hotkeys or the
    > clipboard.

    I am, in fact, using the free version. I'll just do it the hard way.
    Thanks for your help.

    JS

  4. Re: Digital IDs and Outlook Express?

    you're using OE's digital ID buttons - not PGP encryption buttons.

    Look all the way to the end of the line... for the PGP buttons. If
    not there, then PGP didn't install the OE agent.

    John Smith wrote in message news:<3FAFB178.8090104@mail.com>...
    > I'm using PGP (8.02) for the first time. No problem encrypting files,
    > etc. but when I try to send encrypted test email to myself with Outlook
    > Express a dialogue pops up telling me that OE cannot find a digital ID
    > for the recipient and I am thereafter unable to send the email.
    >
    > I have, of course, generated a key pair for myself. The documentation
    > states that I may need to use the recipient selection screen. This
    > screen does not appear automatically nor can I force it to appear by
    > pressing shift when I click send.
    >
    > Can any of you PGP mavens help this newbie out?

  5. Re: Digital IDs and Outlook Express?

    John Smith writes:

    > Can any of you PGP mavens help this newbie out?

    PGP 8.x adds separate buttons for PGP encryption. You're pressing the
    buttons for OE's built-in S/MIME encryption. The PGP buttons are next
    to that. They only work if you have the paid version of the software.
    Otherwise you can use hotkeys or the clipboard for your PGP encryption
    of mail messages.

  6. Re: Digital IDs and Outlook Express?

+ Reply to Thread