PGP versions for ciphers - PGP

This is a discussion on PGP versions for ciphers - PGP ; Hi, I'm sure this is an easy question, but I haven't been able to find an answer. Is there a resource that shows which encryption ciphers are usable by which PGP versions? In particular, I'm trying to find out whether ...

  1. PGP versions for ciphers

    Hi,

    I'm sure this is an easy question, but I haven't been able to find an
    answer. Is there a resource that shows which encryption ciphers are
    usable by which PGP versions?

    In particular, I'm trying to find out whether PGP 2.6.3i and 2.7 support
    CAST or 3DES (or anything other than IDEA, actually).

    Thanks,
    Aaron.

  2. Re: PGP versions for ciphers

    Aaron Sherber writes:

    > In particular, I'm trying to find out whether PGP 2.6.3i and 2.7 support
    > CAST or 3DES (or anything other than IDEA, actually).

    If I remember correctly all the PGP 2.x versions are limited to IDEA
    only.

  3. Re: PGP versions for ciphers

    In article <19m2qv8lcga162rk0je6onror1bhhbanj4@4ax.com>,
    mxsmanic@hotmail.com says...
    > If I remember correctly all the PGP 2.x versions are limited to IDEA
    > only.

    Yes, that's what I remember as well, but I was hoping there would be
    documentation somewhere that would also address the larger question of
    when each algorithm was introduced.

    Thanks,
    Aaron.

  4. Re: PGP versions for ciphers

    Aaron Sherber wrote in
    news:MPG.1a0b278665a6393998968b@news.md.comcast.gi ganews.com:

    > ... but I was hoping there would be
    > documentation somewhere that would also address the larger
    > question of when each algorithm was introduced.

    From the "GPG Info" file comes the following. It comes close to what
    you want:

    HTH,
    John

    --------------------

    --pgp2
    Set up all options to be as PGP 2.x compliant as possible,
    and warn if an action is taken (e.g. encrypting to a non-RSA
    key) that will create a message that PGP 2.x will not be able
    to handle. Note that `PGP 2.x' here means `MIT PGP 2.6.2'.
    There are other versions of PGP 2.x available, but the MIT
    release is a good common baseline.

    This option implies `--rfc1991 -disable-mdc -no-force-v4-certs
    --no-sk-comment -escape-from-lines -force-v3-sigs
    --no-ask-sig-expire -no-ask-cert-expire -cipher-algo IDEA
    --digest-algo MD5 -compress-algo 1'. It also disables
    -textmode when encrypting.

    --pgp6
    Set up all options to be as PGP 6 compliant as possible. This
    restricts you to the ciphers IDEA (if the IDEA plugin is
    installed), 3DES, and CAST5, the hashes MD5, SHA1 and
    RIPEMD160, and the compression algorithms none and ZIP. This
    also disables --throw-keyid, and making signatures with
    signing subkeys as PGP 6 does not understand signatures made
    by signing subkeys.

    This option implies `--disable-mdc -no-sk-comment
    -escape-from-lines --force-v3-sigs -no-ask-sig-expire'

    --pgp7
    Set up all options to be as PGP 7 compliant as possible. This
    is identical to --pgp6 except that MDCs are not disabled, and
    the list of allowable ciphers is expanded to add AES128,
    AES192, AES256, and TWOFISH.

    --pgp8
    Set up all options to be as PGP 8 compliant as possible. PGP
    8 is a lot closer to the OpenPGP standard than previous
    versions of PGP, so all this does is disable --throw-keyid
    and set -escape-from-lines. The allowed algorithms list is
    the same as --pgp7 with the addition of the SHA-256 digest
    algorithm.

  5. Re: PGP versions for ciphers

  6. Re: PGP versions for ciphers

  7. Re: PGP versions for ciphers