PGP won't decript!!!! Please, help. - PGP

This is a discussion on PGP won't decript!!!! Please, help. - PGP ; Hi, I'm a total newbie to PGP and apologize for my ignorance. I will be downloading encripted files from an ftp site. The owner of those files sent me two keys in an e-mail. One was pubring.pgp the other secring.pgp. ...

  1. PGP won't decript!!!! Please, help.

    Hi, I'm a total newbie to PGP and apologize for my ignorance. I will
    be downloading encripted files from an ftp site. The owner of those
    files sent me two keys in an e-mail. One was pubring.pgp the other
    secring.pgp. As I understand those are my keys with which I can
    encript and decript my own encriptions. Am I right on this?

    Now first I installed pgp on windows, created a new key pair with my
    name and then added those two keys I was sent to the keyring. I was
    able to decript the files without a problem.

    Next I had to do the same thing on Linux box.
    So I installed PGP 6.5.8. I created the encripting and decripting
    keys. Then I copied the files that were sent to me in an e-mail from
    windows box to Linux box(secring.pgp and pubring.pgp) and added them
    to my keyring.
    When I try to decript a file though, I get a message:
    "File is encripted. Secret key is required to read it.
    Key for user userName
    1024 bin.... more info on a key...
    Key can sign."
    And then I get a prompt and file has not been decripted. On windows
    box after key can sign I see a message saying "plaintext file name =
    ....whatever...."
    and I get a decripted file. This doesn't happen on Linux box.

    What am I doing wrong? Where should I have put secring.pgp and
    pubring.pgp? ( I put them in $HOME/.pgp and also in /usr/bin where pgp
    resides ). And does their location matter since I added them to my
    keyring? Should I have refreshed something so that PGP will see this
    keys now? Am I missing a step? Why would it work on windows machine
    and not on Linux?
    I'm totally lost and can't find any help in the documentation.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: PGP won't decript!!!! Please, help.

    N. K. wrote:
    > The owner of those files sent me two keys in an e-mail. One was
    > pubring.pgp the other secring.pgp. As I understand those are my keys

    Nobody can send you *your* secring.pgp. Please read the PGP manual.

    --
    Genius doesn't work on an assembly line basis. You can't simply say,
    "Today I will be brilliant."

  3. Re: PGP won't decript!!!! Please, help.

    "N.K." wrote in message
    news:2d4502eb.0310280854.2296ea68@posting.google.c om...

    > Hi, I'm a total newbie to PGP and apologize for my ignorance. I will
    > be downloading encripted files from an ftp site. The owner of those
    > files sent me two keys in an e-mail. One was pubring.pgp the other
    > secring.pgp. As I understand those are my keys with which I can
    > encript and decript my own encriptions. Am I right on this?
    >
    > Now first I installed pgp on windows, created a new key pair with my
    > name and then added those two keys I was sent to the keyring. I was
    > able to decript the files without a problem.
    >
    > Next I had to do the same thing on Linux box.
    > So I installed PGP 6.5.8. I created the encripting and decripting
    > keys. Then I copied the files that were sent to me in an e-mail from
    > windows box to Linux box(secring.pgp and pubring.pgp) and added them
    > to my keyring.
    > When I try to decript a file though, I get a message:
    > "File is encripted. Secret key is required to read it.
    > Key for user userName
    > 1024 bin.... more info on a key...
    > Key can sign."
    > And then I get a prompt and file has not been decripted. On windows
    > box after key can sign I see a message saying "plaintext file name =
    > ...whatever...."
    > and I get a decripted file. This doesn't happen on Linux box.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? Where should I have put secring.pgp and
    > pubring.pgp? ( I put them in $HOME/.pgp and also in /usr/bin where pgp
    > resides ). And does their location matter since I added them to my
    > keyring? Should I have refreshed something so that PGP will see this
    > keys now? Am I missing a step? Why would it work on windows machine
    > and not on Linux?
    > I'm totally lost and can't find any help in the documentation.

    which pgp version are you using in windows?

    if it is pgp 8, then keys generated in pgp 8 may not compatible with
    6.5.8, unless specifically modified to be so,
    (not *at all* 'your' fault,
    it is a compatibility issue about secret key protection and too long to get
    into now,)

    if you can use a linux commandline, you are probably much better off using
    the gnupg commandline in linux,
    and will then be able to decrypt *everything* from *anywhere*

    ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/gnupg/
    select gnupg1.2.3 of the tar type (gz or bz2) that is most convenient for
    you

    after installing gnupg, export your private and secret keys as .asc files,
    and then import them into gnupg,
    and then you will be able to decrypt everything in both systems

    hth,

    vedaal

  4. Re: PGP won't decript!!!! Please, help.

    N.K. writes:

    > Hi, I'm a total newbie to PGP and apologize for my ignorance. I will
    > be downloading encripted files from an ftp site. The owner of those
    > files sent me two keys in an e-mail. One was pubring.pgp the other
    > secring.pgp. As I understand those are my keys with which I can
    > encript and decript my own encriptions. Am I right on this?

    He is doing it wrong. Have him export the correct keys from his copy of
    PGP and send them to you in a .asc file or a .pgp file. It sounds like
    he is actually sending you keyrings. He shouldn't be doing that.

    If the files on the site are already encrypted, you'll need the public
    and private key pair(s) used to encrypt them. Have him send you that.
    Add those keys to your own key ring, and you're all set (if he has
    protected the keys with a pass phrase, he'll need to tell you what the
    pass phrase is, too).

    > Now first I installed pgp on windows, created a new key pair with my
    > name and then added those two keys I was sent to the keyring. I was
    > able to decript the files without a problem.

    You didn't need to create keys in this case, since the encrypted files
    are encrypted with the keys that the site owner provides to you.

    If he will be encrypting files _specifically_ to send to you, then you
    need to create your own key pair and send him your public (but not your
    private) key.

    > Next I had to do the same thing on Linux box.
    > So I installed PGP 6.5.8. I created the encripting and decripting
    > keys. Then I copied the files that were sent to me in an e-mail from
    > windows box to Linux box(secring.pgp and pubring.pgp) and added them
    > to my keyring.
    > When I try to decript a file though, I get a message:
    > "File is encripted. Secret key is required to read it.
    > Key for user userName
    > 1024 bin.... more info on a key...
    > Key can sign."

    You need the private key of the key pair used to encrypt the file.

    There are better ways to do all this, but they would require the
    cooperation of the site owner. It sounds like he isn't very familiar
    with PGP, either, since he is using it incorrectly.

  5. Re: PGP won't decript!!!! Please, help.

  6. Re: PGP won't decript!!!! Please, help.

    Thanks for your response. I checked the file names and they are the
    same. I understand that I was supposed to get a key and not a key
    ring. But here is what I found. When I tried to extract keys from
    the keyrings I was sent, there was nothing! No keys or ids. Then I
    created my own keys. Then I did
    pgp -ka pubring.pgp where pubring.pgp is the file I was sent. Now
    when I try to extract keys from the keyrings I seem to have 2 new keys
    from the owner of the site in the keyrings plus the key that I've just
    created. So even though the steps seem strange, it looks like I have
    all that is needed.
    Now when I try to decrypt I see the following:
    File is encripted. Secret key is required to read it.
    Key for Id whatever
    Created 2000/08/12
    Key can sign.

    That's it. On the windows box when I ran the same command I have one
    more line that reads:
    Plaintext filename: C:/path/file

    Is this a permissions problem? I seem to have checked everythig.
    What else could it be?

    Thanks
    N.K.

    "MikeyD" wrote in message news:<1067615067.36585.0@echo.uk.clara.net>...

  7. Re: PGP won't decript!!!! Please, help.

+ Reply to Thread