NetScreen 5XT and VPN connection - PGP

This is a discussion on NetScreen 5XT and VPN connection - PGP ; I have recently been brought in as the Network Admin to a fairly small company and asked to support an already configured VPN configuration. The internal network has a NetScreen 5XT with the policies and users already created. A user ...

  1. NetScreen 5XT and VPN connection

    I have recently been brought in as the Network Admin to a fairly small
    company and asked to support an already configured VPN configuration.
    The internal network has a NetScreen 5XT with the policies and users
    already created. A user was able to remote into the network with a
    preshared key and client software. The user has since changed from
    dial-up internet to a cable ISP with dynamically assigned IP address.
    Since the change, the user is able to ping with reply to the
    trusted/untrusted side of the NetScreen device and ping with reply to
    the hosting Win2K server, but is unable to log in with a remote
    connection. I have tried to reconnect on the users XP pro machine and
    have only been able to log in on the NetScreen 5XT from their remote
    location. I have tried to get support from NetScreen but their
    support stops once I get a successful reply on the ping and able to
    connect to the device.

    Please point me to some documentation or direction on how I can
    restore this remote connection.

    Thank you for your assistance.

  2. Re: NetScreen 5XT and VPN connection

    This is NOT a PGP issue!

    "willitsme" wrote in message
    news:33de3789.0310221427.75ee3bf6@posting.google.c om...
    | I have recently been brought in as the Network Admin to a fairly small
    | company and asked to support an already configured VPN configuration.
    | The internal network has a NetScreen 5XT with the policies and users
    | already created. A user was able to remote into the network with a
    | preshared key and client software. The user has since changed from
    | dial-up internet to a cable ISP with dynamically assigned IP address.
    | Since the change, the user is able to ping with reply to the
    | trusted/untrusted side of the NetScreen device and ping with reply to
    | the hosting Win2K server, but is unable to log in with a remote
    | connection. I have tried to reconnect on the users XP pro machine and
    | have only been able to log in on the NetScreen 5XT from their remote
    | location. I have tried to get support from NetScreen but their
    | support stops once I get a successful reply on the ping and able to
    | connect to the device.
    |
    | Please point me to some documentation or direction on how I can
    | restore this remote connection.
    |
    | Thank you for your assistance.

  3. Re: NetScreen 5XT and VPN connection

    "willitsme" wrote in message
    news:33de3789.0310221427.75ee3bf6@posting.google.c om...
    > I have recently been brought in as the Network Admin to a fairly small
    > company and asked to support an already configured VPN configuration.
    > The internal network has a NetScreen 5XT with the policies and users
    > already created. A user was able to remote into the network with a
    > preshared key and client software. The user has since changed from
    > dial-up internet to a cable ISP with dynamically assigned IP address.
    > Since the change, the user is able to ping with reply to the
    > trusted/untrusted side of the NetScreen device and ping with reply to
    > the hosting Win2K server, but is unable to log in with a remote
    > connection.

    So the dial-up Internet didn't use DHCP?
    At what point in the "dial-up" process did they logon to this server?
    Why do they need to logon to the server at all? To run logon scripts and/or map
    drives?
    If you can PING the server and it's a Microsoft server have you looked at manual
    or batch file "net use *" commands.
    Are you allowing the M$ authentication stuff through the firewall?

    > I have tried to reconnect on the users XP pro machine and
    > have only been able to log in on the NetScreen 5XT from their remote
    > location. I have tried to get support from NetScreen but their
    > support stops once I get a successful reply on the ping and able to
    > connect to the device.

    Have you tried "tracing" what's going on when the client connects? It may give
    you some insight.

    > Please point me to some documentation or direction on how I can
    > restore this remote connection.

    www.netscreenforum.com

+ Reply to Thread