playing with pgp - PGP

This is a discussion on playing with pgp - PGP ; hi, I have just installed and am running PGP for Windows (running McAfee Ebusiness server). I am new to pgp and have been playing with encrypting files. the group that we will be exchanging files has given us their public ...

  1. playing with pgp

    hi,

    I have just installed and am running PGP for Windows (running McAfee
    Ebusiness server). I am new to pgp and have been playing with
    encrypting files.

    the group that we will be exchanging files has given us their public
    key and I have added to my key ring and signed it.

    I am able to encrypt a file without any problems. I have used the
    group I will be exchanging files with public key. But when I attempt
    to decrypt the same file, I get the following message

    "Secret key is required to read it.
    Error decrypting file 'test.txt.pgp'."

    i have tried to specify my userid, passphrase, and the other groups
    key.

    does the file have to be encrypted by the other group before I can
    decrypt it?
    any suggestions

    Thanks,

    Jim

  2. Re: playing with pgp

    jim_tyl@hotmail.com (Jim) wrote in news:71dc50ad.0310161126.54ceca32
    @posting.google.com:

    > hi,
    >
    > I have just installed and am running PGP for Windows (running McAfee
    > Ebusiness server). I am new to pgp and have been playing with
    > encrypting files.
    >
    > the group that we will be exchanging files has given us their public
    > key and I have added to my key ring and signed it.
    >
    > I am able to encrypt a file without any problems. I have used the
    > group I will be exchanging files with public key. But when I attempt
    > to decrypt the same file, I get the following message
    >
    > "Secret key is required to read it.
    > Error decrypting file 'test.txt.pgp'."
    >
    > i have tried to specify my userid, passphrase, and the other groups
    > key.
    >
    > does the file have to be encrypted by the other group before I can
    > decrypt it?
    > any suggestions
    >
    > Thanks,

    For you to be able to decrypt the file, you have to also encrypt it to
    your key.

    --
    Tom McCune

  3. Re: playing with pgp