Spammers harvesting PGP servers! - PGP

This is a discussion on Spammers harvesting PGP servers! - PGP ; Seems that spammers have started harvesting PGP servers for e-mails. On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:03:13 -0400, I got a message from Dr Ahmed Mboma (ahmedmboma@zwallet.com) with Nigerian spam. Absolutely only way to get that e-mail address was through PGP ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Seems that spammers have started harvesting PGP servers for e-mails.

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:03:13 -0400, I got a message from Dr Ahmed Mboma
    (ahmedmboma@zwallet.com) with Nigerian spam. Absolutely only way to get that
    e-mail address was through PGP server. Few of my friends got a same spam,
    also to e-mails available only on PGP server.

    Although it seems that they didn't pick my other e-mails, just one of five,
    in the same key.

    Did anyone else get the same spam? Should we stop making our public keys
    public through PGP servers? Is nothing sacred anymore? ((((

    Domchi

    --
    Antispam: to reply, remove extra monkey from reply-to address.

  2. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Domagoj Klepac writes:

    > Seems that spammers have started harvesting PGP servers for e-mails.

    That would surprise me. It's a very high overhead for a relatively
    small number of e-mail addresses.

    > Absolutely only way to get that e-mail address was
    > through PGP server.

    How do you know?

    Is your address on any Web page, anywhere? (Ever signed a guest book on
    a site? Every entered a comment?)

    Has your address ever appeared in any USENET posting, anywhere?

    Is your address in anyone's address book, anywhere?

    > Did anyone else get the same spam? Should we stop making our public keys
    > public through PGP servers? Is nothing sacred anymore? ((((

    Set up filters to throw away any e-mail to that e-mail address unless it
    has a valid PGP signature.

  3. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    In article , Domagoj Klepac
    no_spam_sent.2.domchi@spamgourmet.comsays...

    > Seems that spammers have started harvesting PGP servers for e-mails.
    >
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:03:13 -0400, I got a message from Dr Ahmed Mboma
    > (ahmedmboma@zwallet.com) with Nigerian spam. Absolutely only way to get that
    > e-mail address was through PGP server. Few of my friends got a same spam,
    > also to e-mails available only on PGP server.
    >
    > Although it seems that they didn't pick my other e-mails, just one of five,
    > in the same key.
    >
    > Did anyone else get the same spam? Should we stop making our public keys
    > public through PGP servers? Is nothing sacred anymore? ((((
    >
    > Domchi

    Domchi,
    Check your full headers in your own posts. Most newsreaders don't add a
    SENDER: header. Your headers show Sender: d?l?p?c@imu5.imu.carnet.hr. If that
    is the email address being spammed, it was likely harvested directly from
    Usenet. I hope I munged it above enough to fool the automatic harvesters if
    this isn't the address, but left enough for you to recognize it.

    I am not familiar with Forte Agent, but other posters here are using it.
    Their headers don't have a SENDER: header, so it must be off by default. Do you
    have to authenticate with your NNTP server to access Usenet? Perhaps your
    provider is adding it if you authenticate, a bad idea.

    --

    John Gray

    If you don't have a reason, at least have an excuse.

    Just in case there's any doubt, my email address is useless. Please reply to
    this newsgroup.

  4. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    I would like to tie myself over to the discussion with Mxsmanic
    on Fri, 10 Oct 2003 03:19:11 +0200:
    >> Absolutely only way to get that e-mail address was
    >> through PGP server.

    >How do you know?

    Because I don't use that e-mail, anywhere; it's a backup address. I even
    haven't given it to anyone. Except that it's in my PGP key.

    >Is your address on any Web page, anywhere? (Ever signed a guest book on
    >a site? Every entered a comment?)

    No way.

    >Has your address ever appeared in any USENET posting, anywhere?

    Absolutely no.

    >Is your address in anyone's address book, anywhere?

    One person has it, but he's too experienced to leak it. However, that wasn't
    a virus, it was a Nigerian spam. And besides, I wasn't the only one who got
    the same spam.

    >> Did anyone else get the same spam? Should we stop making our public keys
    >> public through PGP servers? Is nothing sacred anymore? ((((

    >Set up filters to throw away any e-mail to that e-mail address unless it
    >has a valid PGP signature.

    I'm not too worried about THAT e-mail address. However, my personal and
    business e-mails, which I use, and on which I'm receiving 0% spams, are also
    available on PGP servers. If only one of those ****ing idiots picks my
    e-mails, with the time, I'll again have 50-100 spams a day on one address.

    And rejecting mails which are not PGP signed is not an option, since none of
    my business contacts or clients uses PGP.

    Domchi

    --
    Antispam: to reply, remove extra monkey from reply-to address.

  5. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    I would like to tie myself over to the discussion with John Gray
    on Fri, 10 Oct 2003 01:55:17 GMT:
    >> Seems that spammers have started harvesting PGP servers for e-mails.

    > Check your full headers in your own posts. Most newsreaders don't add a
    >SENDER: header. Your headers show Sender: d?l?p?c@imu5.imu.carnet.hr. If that
    >is the email address being spammed, it was likely harvested directly from
    >Usenet. I hope I munged it above enough to fool the automatic harvesters if
    >this isn't the address, but left enough for you to recognize it.

    Nope, it's not that address. imu.carnet.hr is just a machine I connect to at
    my ISP. That e-mail in sender header is fake, and I really don't know why
    the server adds it, I'll talk with my newsadmin.

    > I am not familiar with Forte Agent, but other posters here are using it.
    >Their headers don't have a SENDER: header, so it must be off by default. Do you
    >have to authenticate with your NNTP server to access Usenet? Perhaps your
    >provider is adding it if you authenticate, a bad idea.

    I do use authenticated NNTP, and that header is indeed added by the server.
    However, it's not that e-mail.

    I'm 100% sure that my e-mail was harvested from the PGP keyserver,
    unfortunately.

    Domchi

    --
    Antispam: to reply, remove extra monkey from reply-to address.

  6. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Domagoj Klepac writes:

    > If only one of those ****ing idiots picks my
    > e-mails, with the time, I'll again have 50-100 spams
    > a day on one address.

    I get hundreds of spams a day on all my e-mail addresses. You get used
    to it. I don't know of any fully reliable solution to spam.

    I'm surprised that anyone is harvesting keyservers. But then again, I
    read not long ago that a lot of experienced IT people are moving into
    spamming, since it is becoming lucrative and it's harder and harder to
    find jobs doing anything else.

  7. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

  8. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

  9. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Frode writes:

    > K9 + Spampal = 100% spamfree in my case. Been using the combination a few
    > months now and not a single spam has managed to get into my inbox.

    How many legitimate e-mails have you lost, and how do you know?

  10. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    I'm not trying to smart alec, much less pose any would-be spammers of me a
    challenge or anything, but I've had very little, probably less than 10, in
    the months since I dropped an email address that got out onto the net.

    That address was on the web in a site post sent before I learnt about these
    things, was inadvertently shown again in ng posts when I rebuilt after a
    system crash (the spam count went up immediately afterwards) and was also
    registered on the email preference lists for not receiving spam (again, the
    moment I registered it, the spam count went up).

    I don't find I need to use anti-spam programs, and only have about 2 rules
    in the junk mail options in Outlook.

    FWIW, this what I have done to achieve this:
    Used fictitious names in ng posts such as these.
    Didn't register new email with preference lists.
    I use three forwarding addresses (see * below).
    Whenever I register with a new site, I'm very careful to give the
    forwarding address and unselect any options to give my details to others.
    On the odd occasion I receive spam, I make certain to find out about
    where it came from and complain to the the source's ISP.

    * Forwarding addresses have the advantage that you can give different
    addresses out to different people, one for friends and family, one for
    work, one for web-sites, etc. If you then change your ISP, you only have
    to change the forwarding instructions, not notify all your correspondents,
    web-sites you are registered with, etc. By using two or three, you limit
    the potential damage - it's not happened yet (touches wood), but if one
    address gets out (most probably the web one), you will only have to deal
    with that, and meanwhile you won't miss mails from work, family, etc.

    "Mxsmanic" wrote in message

    > I get hundreds of spams a day on all my e-mail addresses. You get used
    > to it. I don't know of any fully reliable solution to spam.

  11. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

  12. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Java Jive writes:

    > I'm not trying to smart alec, much less pose any would-be spammers of me a
    > challenge or anything, but I've had very little, probably less than 10, in
    > the months since I dropped an email address that got out onto the net.

    I have Hotmail's options set so that the account to which my e-mail
    address on this post points rejects all mail from anyone not in my
    address book. Out of curiosity, I turned this off just now, and within
    seconds I had 16 spams in my mailbox, with 15 of them being viruses.

  13. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Comments in Message

    "Java Jive" wrote in message
    news:3f87c369$0$65594$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net ...
    > I'm not trying to smart alec, much less pose any would-be
    > spammers of me a challenge or anything, but I've had very
    > little, probably less than 10, in the months since I dropped
    > an email address that got out onto the net.
    >
    > That address was on the web in a site post sent before I
    > learnt about these things, was inadvertently shown again in ng
    > posts when I rebuilt after a system crash (the spam count went
    > up immediately afterwards) and was also registered on the
    > email preference lists for not receiving spam (again, the
    > moment I registered it, the spam count went up).
    >
    > I don't find I need to use anti-spam programs, and only have
    > about 2 rules in the junk mail options in Outlook.
    >
    > FWIW, this what I have done to achieve this:
    > Used fictitious names in ng posts such as these.
    > Didn't register new email with preference lists.
    > I use three forwarding addresses (see * below).
    > Whenever I register with a new site, I'm very careful to
    > give the forwarding address and unselect any options to give
    > my details to others.
    > On the odd occasion I receive spam, I make certain to find
    > out about where it came from and complain to the the source's
    > ISP.

    http://www.SneakEmail.com
    http://www.spamgourmet.com
    Two great disposable forwarding address site!

    I used to use and love http://www.mailexpire.com
    Does anyone know what happened to it?

    > * Forwarding addresses have the advantage that you can give
    > different addresses out to different people, one for friends
    > and family, one for work, one for web-sites, etc. If you
    > then change your ISP, you only have to change the forwarding
    > instructions, not notify all your correspondents, web-sites
    > you are registered with, etc. By using two or three, you
    > limit the potential damage - it's not happened yet (touches
    > wood), but if one address gets out (most probably the web
    > one), you will only have to deal with that, and meanwhile you
    > won't miss mails from work, family, etc.
    >
    > "Mxsmanic" wrote in message
    >
    > > I get hundreds of spams a day on all my e-mail addresses.
    > > You get used to it. I don't know of any fully reliable
    > > solution to spam.

  14. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

  15. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    "Mxsmanic" wrote in message

    > I have Hotmail's options set so that the account to which my e-mail
    > address on this post points rejects all mail from anyone not in my
    > address book. Out of curiosity, I turned this off just now, and within
    > seconds I had 16 spams in my mailbox, with 15 of them being viruses.

    and

    > Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

    From your header:

    From: Mxsmanic

    You sure you got that right? It looks to me as though anyone can spam you
    from the address in your ng posts.

  16. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

  17. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Java Jive writes:

    > You sure you got that right? It looks to me as though anyone can spam you
    > from the address in your ng posts.

    The address in the header trashes everything that it receives (it's a
    legitimate Hotmail address, but only senders already in my address book
    can get through). However, human beings (as opposed to scanner bots)
    can read my signature and figure out an address that will actually reach
    me. No different from what a lot of people do.

  18. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Frode writes:

    > I assume that's his spamtrap.

    Right.

    > In other words, if you follow the instructions, you get an equally valid
    > address that's likely actually read somewhat frequently. My guess.

    Yup. I like to be reachable for real human beings that actually want to
    send me an e-mail, but I don't like having my address sucked up by the
    spammers. No different from a zillion other people on USENET who do the
    same thing.

  19. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    In article , Domagoj Klepac
    no_spam_sent.2.domchi@spamgourmet.comsays...
    > I would like to tie myself over to the discussion with John Gray
    > on Fri, 10 Oct 2003 01:55:17 GMT:
    > >> Seems that spammers have started harvesting PGP servers for e-mails.

    > > Check your full headers in your own posts. Most newsreaders don't add a
    > >SENDER: header. Your headers show Sender: d?l?p?c@imu5.imu.carnet.hr. If that
    > >is the email address being spammed, it was likely harvested directly from
    > >Usenet. I hope I munged it above enough to fool the automatic harvesters if
    > >this isn't the address, but left enough for you to recognize it.

    > Nope, it's not that address. imu.carnet.hr is just a machine I connect to at
    > my ISP. That e-mail in sender header is fake, and I really don't know why
    > the server adds it, I'll talk with my newsadmin.
    >
    > > I am not familiar with Forte Agent, but other posters here are using it.
    > >Their headers don't have a SENDER: header, so it must be off by default. Do you
    > >have to authenticate with your NNTP server to access Usenet? Perhaps your
    > >provider is adding it if you authenticate, a bad idea.

    > I do use authenticated NNTP, and that header is indeed added by the server.
    > However, it's not that e-mail.
    >
    > I'm 100% sure that my e-mail was harvested from the PGP keyserver,
    > unfortunately.
    >
    > Domchi

    Domchi,
    In your PGP key, is the spammed address the primary one? It's been a
    while, but I think that is the one that shows up when they check the key's
    fingerprint at a PGP key server. If I'm wrong, someone here will correct me,
    please? Hopefully, the spammers won't dig deeper. The email addresses in my
    PGP keys on any key server are all obsolete by now. I love the concept of PGP
    for email, but unfortunately those I converse with are not so inclined.

    --

    John Gray

    If you don't have a reason, at least have an excuse.

    Just in case there's any doubt, my email address is useless. Please reply to
    this newsgroup.

  20. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Got you, but then you shouldn't be surpised at the amount of spam coming
    into your hotmail address :-)