Spammers harvesting PGP servers! - PGP

This is a discussion on Spammers harvesting PGP servers! - PGP ; Java Jive writes: > Got you, but then you shouldn't be surpised at the amount of spam coming > into your hotmail address :-) I'm not. With about 30,000 posts to USENET over the years using that address, it's pretty ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Java Jive writes:

    > Got you, but then you shouldn't be surpised at the amount of spam coming
    > into your hotmail address :-)

    I'm not. With about 30,000 posts to USENET over the years using that
    address, it's pretty well burnt out from a spam standpoint.

  2. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    I would like to tie myself over to the discussion with John Gray
    on Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:01:21 GMT:
    >> I'm 100% sure that my e-mail was harvested from the PGP keyserver,
    >> unfortunately.

    >Domchi,
    > In your PGP key, is the spammed address the primary one? It's been a
    >while, but I think that is the one that shows up when they check the key's
    >fingerprint at a PGP key server.

    No. That's what I found interesting too - I have five addresses in my PGP
    key, and the one I got spammed on was the fifth. I didn't get spam on any of
    the other five addresses.

    >If I'm wrong, someone here will correct me, please? Hopefully, the spammers
    >won't dig deeper.

    Just a matter of time, I'm afraid. ((

    Domchi

    --
    Antispam: to reply, remove extra monkey from reply-to address.

  3. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Don't forget there are word-and-number generating programs, too. I once got a
    new address at hotmail, just a first name followed by a four-digit number,
    and within 36 hours I was getting spam.

  4. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    They didnt guess your address: IIRC Hotmail has addresses which spammers
    have found which distribute to groups of hotmail users.

    "Tim Murray" wrote in message
    news:0001HW.BBAE03A900039F09F0080600@newsgroups.be llsouth.net...
    > Don't forget there are word-and-number generating programs, too. I once

    got a
    > new address at hotmail, just a first name followed by a four-digit number,
    > and within 36 hours I was getting spam.

  5. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    I would like to tie myself over to the discussion with Tim Murray
    on Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:59:53 -0400:
    >Don't forget there are word-and-number generating programs, too. I once got a
    >new address at hotmail, just a first name followed by a four-digit number,
    >and within 36 hours I was getting spam.

    Possible, but highly unlikely - first, my userid is not an English name, and
    second, I don't have any numbers in it. Besides, it's on private domain
    which has less than 10 users on it.

    No, my e-mail was definitely picked from keyserver, and I'm not the only
    one.

    Domchi

    --
    Antispam: to reply, remove extra monkey from reply-to address.

  6. Re: Spammers harvesting PGP servers!

    Domagoj Klepac wrote:

    > Seems that spammers have started harvesting PGP servers for e-mails.
    >
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:03:13 -0400, I got a message from Dr Ahmed Mboma
    > (ahmedmboma@zwallet.com) with Nigerian spam. Absolutely only way to get that
    > e-mail address was through PGP server. Few of my friends got a same spam,
    > also to e-mails available only on PGP server.
    >
    > Although it seems that they didn't pick my other e-mails, just one of five,
    > in the same key.
    >
    > Did anyone else get the same spam? Should we stop making our public keys
    > public through PGP servers? Is nothing sacred anymore? ((((
    >
    > Domchi
    >
    > --
    > Antispam: to reply, remove extra monkey from reply-to address.

    Interesting. I have three addys, all at the same free email provider.
    Two of them have been spammed beyond all reason for 4-5 years while the
    3rd one remained squeeky clean during that time. That last addy is my
    close-friends-and-family account and has never been given out for
    general use. HOWEVER .... three days ago I got 5 spams on that account,
    similar enough that I think they originated at the same sender.
    Yesterday I got 3 more like the first 5. I thought, "Well, the random
    addy generator must have finally caught up with this account." But -
    and this is the interesting part - that addy is on a PGP key which is on
    the servers. Hmmmm ........ Coincidence?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2