Reasons for not using PGP in enterprise - PGP

This is a discussion on Reasons for not using PGP in enterprise - PGP ; Hi there; I am researching reasons for users NOT using PGP and PGP Disk in partcular in a corporate environment. Some of the reasons are: * could forget their pass-phrase. * don't have the time. * no "penalty" for not ...

  1. Reasons for not using PGP in enterprise

    Hi there;

    I am researching reasons for users NOT using PGP and PGP Disk in partcular
    in a corporate environment.

    Some of the reasons are:
    * could forget their pass-phrase.
    * don't have the time.
    * no "penalty" for not using it.
    * annoyance.

    Have you heard/seen other reasons? Any is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Reasons for not using PGP in enterprise

    Doug Fox wrote:

    > Hi there;
    > I am researching reasons for users NOT using PGP and PGP Disk in partcular
    > in a corporate environment.
    > Some of the reasons are:
    > * could forget their pass-phrase.
    > * don't have the time.
    > * no "penalty" for not using it.
    > * annoyance.

    Corporations that monitor computer usage would
    consider the use of encryption they don't recognize
    as suspicious. Corporate espionage from insider
    employees still constitute the majority of espionage
    crime; from the stealing of customer lists, hardware
    schematics, and software source code, corporations
    would want to make sure that the reason employees
    are encrypting aren't due to such acts.

    Also there are actually people out there in the real
    world that engage in running a business from the
    company they're employees for. I can even recall
    someone running a business from the Orange Coast
    College computer room one year. }:-}

  3. Re: Reasons for not using PGP in enterprise

    Doug Fox writes:

    > Hi there;
    >
    > I am researching reasons for users NOT using PGP and PGP Disk in partcular
    > in a corporate environment.
    >
    > Some of the reasons are:
    > * could forget their pass-phrase.
    > * don't have the time.
    > * no "penalty" for not using it.
    > * annoyance.
    >
    > Have you heard/seen other reasons? Any is greatly appreciated.

    I think they all resolve to benefits that are not perceived to be
    sufficient to justify the inconvenience. This is the same problem one
    sees with all security products and procedures. PGP is particularly
    secure, but that also means that it does impose a certain amount of
    inconvenience. Most people don't need the extremely high security, and
    would rather do without the inconvenience.

  4. Re: Reasons for not using PGP in enterprise

    In article ,
    Mxsmanic wrote:

    > Doug Fox writes:
    >
    > > Hi there;
    > >
    > > I am researching reasons for users NOT using PGP and PGP Disk in partcular
    > > in a corporate environment.
    > >
    > > Some of the reasons are:
    > > * could forget their pass-phrase.
    > > * don't have the time.
    > > * no "penalty" for not using it.
    > > * annoyance.
    > >
    > > Have you heard/seen other reasons? Any is greatly appreciated.

    > I think they all resolve to benefits that are not perceived to be
    > sufficient to justify the inconvenience. This is the same problem one
    > sees with all security products and procedures. PGP is particularly
    > secure, but that also means that it does impose a certain amount of
    > inconvenience. Most people don't need the extremely high security, and
    > would rather do without the inconvenience.

    Most of these reasons are no longer issues with the new PGP Universal
    product.

    http://pgp.com/products/enterprise/universal/index.html

  5. Re: Reasons for not using PGP in enterprise

    Tamzen Cannoy writes:

    > Most of these reasons are no longer issues with the new PGP Universal
    > product.
    >
    > http://pgp.com/products/enterprise/universal/index.html

    Is full source available for this?