Can you add email (id) to an already generate public/private key pair - PGP

This is a discussion on Can you add email (id) to an already generate public/private key pair - PGP ; Hi all, I have a question about PGP in general. I have a private/public pair that I created a looong time ago. I did not create it with the email address or comment field. I have a remote customer that ...

  1. Can you add email (id) to an already generate public/private key pair

    Hi all, I have a question about PGP in general.

    I have a private/public pair that I created a looong time ago. I did
    not create it with the email address or comment field. I have a
    remote customer that I need to send this public key to but they
    require the email address (their internal application requires it).

    I have two questions
    -Is there a way to add the email address to an already generated
    private/public pair? I don't want to generate new pair because that
    would require me to send my public key to all of my current remotes.
    I want to be able to send a public key with this email address in it
    to one particular customer (if I could put email address in one public
    key, that would be great).

    -On the flip side (looking at it from my customers side) why would you
    want email address/id? Can somebody give me some hints (or point me
    to documentation) talking about the pros and cons why you want to use
    email address/id? (Is it better security? easier to find?)

    Thanks in advance for your input.

    p.s. the platform that I am using is either GnuPG for Windows or PGP
    v6.5.8.

  2. Re: Can you add email (id) to an already generate public/private key pair

  3. Re: Can you add email (id) to an already generate public/private key pair

  4. Re: Can you add email (id) to an already generate public/private key pair

    MikeyD,

    Thanks for your help. That was exactly what I was looking for.

    "MikeyD" wrote in message news:<1064427060.46533.0@damia.uk.clara.net>...

+ Reply to Thread