Losing new lines - PGP

This is a discussion on Losing new lines - PGP ; The company I work for is putting together a simple order system consisting of 1. A mail from a UNIX box automatically encrypted with PGP 2. Reception of the mail at the company we are ordering from. Their desktops are ...

  1. Losing new lines

    The company I work for is putting together a simple order system
    consisting of

    1. A mail from a UNIX box automatically encrypted with PGP

    2. Reception of the mail at the company we are ordering
    from. Their desktops are running PGP 7.0

    3. Response to the order at our company to people running
    PGP 8.0 on their desktops.

    We thought we had a problem in step 1, when the mails were sent they were
    received without any line breaks. Subsequently we have found the same
    problem sending from PGPmail 8.0 to PGPmail 7.0.

    We have tried a number of things, doubling the number of line feeds,
    adding carriage returns, using =0D=0A on line endings, nothing seems to
    work.

    Has anybody else seen this behaviour, got a fix?

    --
    Colin Walls
    Extract the michael to mail me

  2. Re: Losing new lines

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:18:06 +0100, "Colin Walls"
    wrote:

    >1. A mail from a UNIX box automatically encrypted with PGP
    >
    >2. Reception of the mail at the company we are ordering
    > from. Their desktops are running PGP 7.0
    >
    >3. Response to the order at our company to people running
    > PGP 8.0 on their desktops.

    >We thought we had a problem in step 1, when the mails were sent they were
    >received without any line breaks. Subsequently we have found the same
    >problem sending from PGPmail 8.0 to PGPmail 7.0.

    Not sure if it will help or not, but it can't hurt to try. Try running unix2dos
    on the text file before it is encrypted, That should convert the unix style line
    breaks to MS-DOS format.

    beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ tail -n 1000 /var/log/syslog > temp.txt
    beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ unix2dos temp.txt | gpg -a -e -r Beretta temp.txt
    gpg: using secondary key 06317040 instead of primary key A659BE8B
    gpg: This key belongs to us
    gpg: reading from `temp.txt'
    gpg: writing to `temp.txt.asc'
    gpg: ELG-E/3DES encrypted for: "06317040 Johann Beretta (Debian GNU/Linux)
    "
    beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ mpack -s "test" temp.txt.asc beretta
    beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ cat temp.txt.asc | mail beretta

    Now, granted, my setup is different than yours. GPG instead of PGP on the linux
    machine, and I'm using TheBat! email client with PGP 6.5.8 on my winbox. But,
    with that said, the line wrapping was correct on receipt. (both as inline text
    and when it was sent as an attachment (mpack)) However, as always, YMMV

    I did double check to see how the wrapping was without running unix2dos, and it
    was definately hosed.

  3. Re: Losing new lines

    In comp.security.pgp.resources Beretta wrote:
    : On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:18:06 +0100, "Colin Walls"
    : wrote:

    pgp used to have a -t option. line ending would be unix on unix
    and dos on dos.

    :

    :>1. A mail from a UNIX box automatically encrypted with PGP
    :>
[...]

    : "
    : beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ mpack -s "test" temp.txt.asc beretta
    : beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ cat temp.txt.asc | mail beretta

    : Now, granted, my setup is different than yours. GPG instead of PGP on the linux
    : machine, and I'm using TheBat! email client with PGP 6.5.8 on my winbox. But,
    : with that said, the line wrapping was correct on receipt. (both as inline text
    : and when it was sent as an attachment (mpack)) However, as always, YMMV

    : I did double check to see how the wrapping was without running unix2dos, and it
    : was definately hosed.

    Cheers,
    Alex de Joode adejoode@dizum.net
    Dizum Networking http://www.dizum.net

  4. Re: Losing new lines

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:18:06 +0100, Colin Walls wrote:

    > The company I work for is putting together a simple order system
    > consisting of
    >
    > 1. A mail from a UNIX box automatically encrypted with PGP
    >
    > 2. Reception of the mail at the company we are ordering
    > from. Their desktops are running PGP 7.0
    >
    > 3. Response to the order at our company to people running
    > PGP 8.0 on their desktops.
    >
    > We thought we had a problem in step 1, when the mails were sent they were
    > received without any line breaks. Subsequently we have found the same
    > problem sending from PGPmail 8.0 to PGPmail 7.0.
    >
    > We have tried a number of things, doubling the number of line feeds,
    > adding carriage returns, using =0D=0A on line endings, nothing seems to
    > work.

    Thanks for the responses. Dos2Unix does what we already did by hand, i.e.
    it adds a carriage return to each line, needless to say this doesn't work.
    Neither does adding the text-mode flag.

    It is more and more looking like a problem with MS Outlook than PGP. If we
    send the encrypted message as an attachment, or enclosed in a Zip file
    then it works perfectly. We are looking at fiddling with the Content-Type
    header to see if this helps.

  5. Re: Losing new lines

  6. Re: Losing new lines

    In article ,
    colin@michael_murorum.demon.co.uk says...
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:18:06 +0100, Colin Walls wrote:
    >
    > > The company I work for is putting together a simple order system
    > > consisting of
    > >
    > > 1. A mail from a UNIX box automatically encrypted with PGP
    > >
    > > 2. Reception of the mail at the company we are ordering
    > > from. Their desktops are running PGP 7.0
    > >
    > > 3. Response to the order at our company to people running
    > > PGP 8.0 on their desktops.
    > >
    > > We thought we had a problem in step 1, when the mails were sent they were
    > > received without any line breaks. Subsequently we have found the same
    > > problem sending from PGPmail 8.0 to PGPmail 7.0.
    > >
    > > We have tried a number of things, doubling the number of line feeds,
    > > adding carriage returns, using =0D=0A on line endings, nothing seems to
    > > work.

    > Thanks for the responses. Dos2Unix does what we already did by hand, i.e.
    > it adds a carriage return to each line, needless to say this doesn't work.
    > Neither does adding the text-mode flag.
    >
    > It is more and more looking like a problem with MS Outlook than PGP. If we
    > send the encrypted message as an attachment, or enclosed in a Zip file
    > then it works perfectly. We are looking at fiddling with the Content-Type
    > header to see if this helps.

    With Outlook XP, Microsoft introduced a setting (which I believe may be
    "on" by default) which is called "remove extra line breaks in plain text
    messages". Look under Tools->Options->Preferences->Email->Email
    Options. You might try turning this off, if it is on.

    Paul

  7. Re: Losing new lines

    Baretta that paid 7.01 had me up a WALL !
    It kept going into Subject, Cc or To;
    I did not get any Firewall either.
    I don't mind paying. You like 8.0 ?

    "Beretta" wrote in message news:ev73mvg25ha54bp4ouini70d4djde4lvjp@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:18:06 +0100, "Colin Walls"
    > wrote:
    >

    > >1. A mail from a UNIX box automatically encrypted with PGP
    > >
    > >2. Reception of the mail at the company we are ordering
    > > from. Their desktops are running PGP 7.0
    > >
    > >3. Response to the order at our company to people running
    > > PGP 8.0 on their desktops.

    > >We thought we had a problem in step 1, when the mails were sent they were
    > >received without any line breaks. Subsequently we have found the same
    > >problem sending from PGPmail 8.0 to PGPmail 7.0.

    > Not sure if it will help or not, but it can't hurt to try. Try running unix2dos
    > on the text file before it is encrypted, That should convert the unix style line
    > breaks to MS-DOS format.
    >
    > beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ tail -n 1000 /var/log/syslog > temp.txt
    > beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ unix2dos temp.txt | gpg -a -e -r Beretta temp.txt
    > gpg: using secondary key 06317040 instead of primary key A659BE8B
    > gpg: This key belongs to us
    > gpg: reading from `temp.txt'
    > gpg: writing to `temp.txt.asc'
    > gpg: ELG-E/3DES encrypted for: "06317040 Johann Beretta (Debian GNU/Linux)
    > "
    > beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ mpack -s "test" temp.txt.asc beretta
    > beretta@aerynsun:~/temp$ cat temp.txt.asc | mail beretta
    >
    > Now, granted, my setup is different than yours. GPG instead of PGP on the linux
    > machine, and I'm using TheBat! email client with PGP 6.5.8 on my winbox. But,
    > with that said, the line wrapping was correct on receipt. (both as inline text
    > and when it was sent as an attachment (mpack)) However, as always, YMMV
    >
    > I did double check to see how the wrapping was without running unix2dos, and it
    > was definately hosed.

  8. Re: Losing new lines

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:43:49 GMT, "fob" wrote:

    >Baretta that paid 7.01 had me up a WALL !
    >It kept going into Subject, Cc or To;
    >I did not get any Firewall either.
    >I don't mind paying. You like 8.0 ?

    I don't use 7.x or 8.x