Moving PGP Keys - PGP

This is a discussion on Moving PGP Keys - PGP ; A while back, I read a message the describe moving PGP keys between computers using a floppy disk. I didn't copy it, and now I need the information. Could someone please repost it. Thanks....

  1. Moving PGP Keys

    A while back, I read a message the describe moving PGP keys between
    computers using a floppy disk.

    I didn't copy it, and now I need the information.

    Could someone please repost it.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Moving PGP Keys

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:37:05 -0700, Art
    wrote:
    > A while back, I read a message the describe moving PGP keys between
    > computers using a floppy disk.

    Simply copy pubring.pkr and secring.skr files to floppy and to new
    computer.

    --
    My computer security & privacy related homepage
    http://www.markusjansson.net

  3. Re: Moving PGP Keys

  4. Re: Moving PGP Keys

    Markus Jansson wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:37:05 -0700, Art
    > wrote:
    > > A while back, I read a message the describe moving PGP keys between
    > > computers using a floppy disk.

    > Simply copy pubring.pkr and secring.skr files to floppy and to new
    > computer.

    That works only if the old and new computers are of the same type
    (e.g., both Macs, both PCs). It's a bit more complicated when
    moving from one type of platform to another (e.g., PC to Sun, Mac
    to PC).

    If you can be sure the floppy never leaves your possession, then
    export your own key pair in ASCII-armored format, selecting the
    option to include your private key and writing them to the
    floppy. On the new computer, import the key-pair. For security,
    wipe the floppy and then reformat it. On the new computer, select
    your key and request its properties. Select the "Implicit Trust"
    checkbox.

    Then return to your old computer. Select all the rest of the keys
    and export them in ASCII-armored format, writing them to the
    floppy. On the new computer, import the key-pair. (You don't
    really have to do this as a separate step; but separating the
    steps keeps you focused on maintaining the security of your
    private key, which is not necessary for the public keys on your
    keyring.)

    If you are disposing of the old computer, don't forget to wipe all
    files with the .skr extension.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone snooping into your E-mail?
    Use PGP. See my

  5. Re: Moving PGP Keys

    My thanks to all those that responded.

    Art

    "Art" wrote in message
    > A while back, I read a message the describe moving PGP keys between
    > computers using a floppy disk.
    >
    > I didn't copy it, and now I need the information.
    >
    > Could someone please repost it.
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread