bzip support? - PGP

This is a discussion on bzip support? - PGP ; Has anyone tried using bzip2 compression rather than GZIP? There's a possibility of significantly improved compression there, and GPG (at least) is intended to allow "pluggable" algorithms... -- let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;; http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/crypto.html As ...

  1. bzip support?

    --
    let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/crypto.html
    As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
    certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
    -- Albert Einstein.

  2. Re: bzip support?

    Christopher Browne wrote:
    > Has anyone tried using bzip2 compression rather than GZIP? There's a
    > possibility of significantly improved compression there, and GPG (at
    > least) is intended to allow "pluggable" algorithms...

    Currently, OpenPGP only defines ZIP and ZLIB compression. It looks
    like bzip2 will be added to the specification in the next revision.
    If/when that happens, GnuPG will likely add support for this.

    David

  3. Re: bzip support?

    After a long battle with technology,David Shaw , an earthling, wrote:
    > Christopher Browne wrote:
    >> Has anyone tried using bzip2 compression rather than GZIP? There's a
    >> possibility of significantly improved compression there, and GPG (at
    >> least) is intended to allow "pluggable" algorithms...

    > Currently, OpenPGP only defines ZIP and ZLIB compression. It looks
    > like bzip2 will be added to the specification in the next revision.
    > If/when that happens, GnuPG will likely add support for this.

    Too bad it's not there yet, but that's very encouraging for the
    future.

    The place where I could use this is one where there's not the option
    of pushing out a "hacked" version set up for custom purpose; that
    would defeat the purpose of a data escrow procedure.

    (I'd be game to compile a copy, perhaps even involving linking in
    bzip2 code myself, but the recipients of the data aren't up to that,
    and shouldn't trust me to provide them with code. Escrow...)

    Thanks!
    --
    (format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/internet.html