deleted files are recoverable after wiping with 'free space wipe' XP / PGP8.02 - PGP

This is a discussion on deleted files are recoverable after wiping with 'free space wipe' XP / PGP8.02 - PGP ; Using XP home and PGP 8.02 I did a free space wipe on a HD, which appeared to go OK. However after the wipe the deleted files were still visible and recoverable using WinHex. Anyone else had similar problems or ...

  1. deleted files are recoverable after wiping with 'free space wipe' XP / PGP8.02

    Using XP home and PGP 8.02 I did a free space wipe on a HD, which
    appeared to go OK.

    However after the wipe the deleted files were still visible and
    recoverable using WinHex.

    Anyone else had similar problems or anyone have suggestions for
    resolving this?

    MTIA
    --
    bof at bof dot me dot uk

  2. Re: deleted files are recoverable after wiping with 'free space wipe'XP / PGP8.02

    bof wrote:
    > However after the wipe the deleted files were still visible and
    > recoverable using WinHex.

    Im NOT surprised. PGP wiping tools have previously too failed.

    > Anyone else had similar problems or anyone have suggestions for
    > resolving this?

    Dont use PGP for wiping. Use Eraser which is free and has been rated as
    very good program for this purpose. You can download it here:
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

    --
    My computer security & privacy related homepage
    http://www.markusjansson.net

  3. Re: deleted files are recoverable after wiping with 'free space wipe' XP / PGP8.02

  4. Re: deleted files are recoverable after wiping with 'free space wipe' XP / PGP8.02

    "bof" wrote in message
    > Using XP home and PGP 8.02 I did a free space wipe on a HD, which
    > appeared to go OK.
    >
    > However after the wipe the deleted files were still visible and
    > recoverable using WinHex.
    >
    > Anyone else had similar problems or anyone have suggestions for
    > resolving this?

    Did you restart your computer afterwards? Whilst this may overwrite some of
    the data due to files being changed during the reboot, it would leave most
    of the deleted files intact, if they were intact, and would show whether the
    problem was to do with the hard disk caching the tasks it needed to
    complete, or Windows caching the previous contents of the hard disk.

  5. Re: deleted files are recoverable after wiping with 'free space wipe' XP / PGP8.02

    In message , Tom McCune
    writes
    >bof wrote in
    >
    >> Using XP home and PGP 8.02 I did a free space wipe on a HD, which
    >> appeared to go OK.
    >>
    >> However after the wipe the deleted files were still visible and
    >> recoverable using WinHex.
    >>
    >> Anyone else had similar problems or anyone have suggestions for
    >> resolving this?

    >My experience is different. With both FAT32 and NTFS, I have found PGP
    >8.0.2 free space wipe to wipe deleted files from the hard disk (but not
    >from floppys). Of course, the files need to have also been removed from
    >the Recycle Bin before the free space wiping. It does not remove the
    >file names, but when recovering these files, they were in fact
    >overwritten.

    Thanks for the reply, on further investigation it seems the recoverable
    files were ones that had been moved to a different (sub) folder, rather
    than ones that had been deleted. Deleted files were garbled.

    --
    bof at bof dot me dot uk

+ Reply to Thread