Primary uid - significant when? - PGP

This is a discussion on Primary uid - significant when? - PGP ; After following David Shaw's advice to look at RFC-2440 I understand that uids are bound to keys using signatures, and that one can add more uids to a key (using gpg --edit-key >> adduid, for example). So we can have ...

  1. Primary uid - significant when?

    After following David Shaw's advice to look at RFC-2440 I understand that
    uids are bound to keys using signatures, and that one can add more uids to
    a key (using gpg --edit-key >> adduid, for example).

    So we can have many uids for one key.

    I see that one uid for a key is marked as the primary uid. My
    understanding is that there is one and only one primary uid for a key,
    but that the primary uid can be changed (using gpg --edit-key >> primary,
    for example).

    OK, but what is the significance of the primary uid? When does it matter
    what the primary uid is?

    Many thanks,
    Bruce

  2. Re: Primary uid - significant when?

    Bruce Badger wrote:
    > OK, but what is the significance of the primary uid?
    > When does it matter what the primary uid is?

    It is used when you list key signatures
    (gpg --list-key -v or --check-sig)

    --
    You can use "pkg_info" to see a list of packages you have installed.

  3. Re: Primary uid - significant when?

    Igor Ivanov wrote in

    >> OK, but what is the significance of the primary uid?
    >> When does it matter what the primary uid is?

    > It is used when you list key signatures
    > (gpg --list-key -v or --check-sig)

    I don't know about GPG, but for PGP, it is also who will show as having
    signed when doing a signature verification.

    --
    Tom McCune

  4. Re: Primary uid - significant when?

    Bruce Badger wrote:
    > After following David Shaw's advice to look at RFC-2440 I understand that
    > uids are bound to keys using signatures, and that one can add more uids to
    > a key (using gpg --edit-key >> adduid, for example).
    >
    > So we can have many uids for one key.
    >
    > I see that one uid for a key is marked as the primary uid. My
    > understanding is that there is one and only one primary uid for a key,
    > but that the primary uid can be changed (using gpg --edit-key >> primary,
    > for example).
    >
    > OK, but what is the significance of the primary uid? When does it matter
    > what the primary uid is?

    It is used in a few places. If you refer to a key by a user ID name,
    the cipher preferences used for that session are that of the particular
    user ID. If you refer to a key by a keyid, the cipher preferences for
    that session are that of the primary user ID.

    It is the user ID that is listed first when you verify a signature.

    It is the user ID that is listed first in --list-keys.

    It is the user ID that shows up in --list-sigs when you see who has
    signed a key.

    Basically, it's a way for the user to indicate a particular user ID as
    the one to use when in doubt. If the user doesn't set a primary, GnuPG
    assumes the most recently created user ID is the primary.

    David

+ Reply to Thread