Problem with passphrase - PGP

This is a discussion on Problem with passphrase - PGP ; Hi all. Maybe it's a silly question? While testing pgp some time ago I set a passphrase. Now, I need to use it with the email I attach to that key, but I've forgotten the passphrase. Is there anyway of ...

  1. Problem with passphrase

    Hi all. Maybe it's a silly question? While testing pgp some time ago I set
    a passphrase. Now, I need to use it with the email I attach to that key,
    but I've forgotten the passphrase.
    Is there anyway of using the same e-mail address?Is it possible to revoke
    the key?
    I need help. And the solution is not using another email ))

    TA.

  2. Re: Problem with passphrase

  3. Re: Problem with passphrase

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > Tom McCune wrote:

    > Just to add one thing. If you generated a recocation certificate when you
    > created the key (whose passphrase you lost) you can upload that. If you
    > did NOT upload the key to servers, there really is no problem then.

    SImply
    > create the new key and off you go.

    .... or if you set someone else as a revoker to your key...
    --

  4. Re: Problem with passphrase

  5. Re: Problem with passphrase

    "Tom McCune" wrote in message
    news:hlXTa.112907$EQ5.15674@twister.nyroc.rr.com.. .

    [...]

    > >> Just to add one thing. If you generated a recocation certificate
    > >> when you created the key (whose passphrase you lost) you can upload
    > >> that. If you did NOT upload the key to servers, there really is no
    > >> problem then.

    > > SImply
    > >> create the new key and off you go.

    > > ... or if you set someone else as a revoker to your key...

    > For non-corporate users, the designated revoker seems to have little
    > value - a key revoked by a designated revoker will not show as revoked
    > unless the designated revoker's key is in your keyring.

    [...]

    have not really tried this, as am reluctant to clutter keyservers with test
    keys, to see what does and does not revoke them

    can anyone has has actually done so, comment on the following:

    [1] key revoked by uploading a gnupg revocation certificate
    [2] key revoked by gnupg designated revoker, and then uploaded by the
    revoker
    [3] key revoked by gnupg revocation certificate designed for use in pgp,
    then revoked in pgp and uploaded to server from pgp
    [4] key revoked by pgp designated revoker and uploaded to server

    which of the above do or do not work, and what are the 'real world'
    caveats?

    { along these lines, maybe it would be possible to have a 'test'
    keyserver, [something like the 'test' newsgroups],
    where people can try out and test their key revocations, signature changes,
    photo id's, new subkey flavors, etc. }

    tia,

    vedaal

  6. Re: Problem with passphrase

    "Tom McCune" wrote in message
    news:hlXTa.112907$EQ5.15674@twister.nyroc.rr.com.. .
    "Gamma3000" wrote in

    > >> Just to add one thing. If you generated a recocation certificate
    > >> when you created the key (whose passphrase you lost) you can upload
    > >> that. If you did NOT upload the key to servers, there really is no
    > >> problem then.

    > > SImply
    > >> create the new key and off you go.

    > > ... or if you set someone else as a revoker to your key...

    > For non-corporate users, the designated revoker seems to have little
    > value - a key revoked by a designated revoker will not show as revoked
    > unless the designated revoker's key is in your keyring.

    I thought the idea of a designated revoker was that they could revoke the
    ket, and it would be *exactly* like you had revoked the key yourself...?
    Does that mean that if the key is sent to a keyserver, it still apears as
    valid?

  7. Re: Problem with passphrase

    "Gamma3000" wrote in news:3f2156db@shknews01:

    >> For non-corporate users, the designated revoker seems to have little
    >> value - a key revoked by a designated revoker will not show as revoked
    >> unless the designated revoker's key is in your keyring.

    > I thought the idea of a designated revoker was that they could revoke the
    > ket, and it would be *exactly* like you had revoked the key yourself...?
    > Does that mean that if the key is sent to a keyserver, it still apears as
    > valid?

    I can't add much more. This is stated on page 130 of the current manual.

    --
    Tom McCune