PGP 9.8 for the MAC - PGP

This is a discussion on PGP 9.8 for the MAC - PGP ; I have been considering buying PGP 9.8 for OSX but the reviews are terrible. Any one in this group have any experience with it? Thanks Hud...

  1. PGP 9.8 for the MAC

    I have been considering buying PGP 9.8 for OSX but the reviews are terrible.

    Any one in this group have any experience with it?

    Thanks
    Hud

  2. Re: PGP 9.8 for the MAC

    Nemo wrote:
    > I have been considering buying PGP 9.8 for OSX but the reviews are
    > terrible.
    >
    > Any one in this group have any experience with it?
    >
    > Thanks Hud

    I don't know if you can, however if you can get GnuPG for OSX then that
    may suffice all your needs, and it's completely open source.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  3. Re: PGP 9.8 for the MAC

    Nemo wrote:
    > I have been considering buying PGP 9.8 for OSX but the reviews are terrible.
    >
    > Any one in this group have any experience with it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Hud

    We receive very few comments about Mac OS X and GnuPG. If you try it, please
    let us know what you think. Personally, I have compiled version 2.0.9 for use
    with Linux and I'm happy with it.

    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

  4. Re: PGP 9.8 for the MAC

    On 7/15/08 9:51 PM, in article HKWdnRcYN_S8yeDVnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@comcast.com,
    "1PW" wrote:

    > Nemo wrote:
    >> I have been considering buying PGP 9.8 for OSX but the reviews are terrible.
    >>
    >> Any one in this group have any experience with it?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Hud
    >>

    > We receive very few comments about Mac OS X and GnuPG. If you try it, please
    > let us know what you think. Personally, I have compiled version 2.0.9 for use
    > with Linux and I'm happy with it.

    I've been using PGP 9.7 for several months on Tiger and Leopard, after
    "upgrading" from GnuPG.
    PGP's support for the Mac version leaves a lot to be desired. For example,
    Leopard support was added a loooong time after Lepard was released, I had to
    posptpone upgrading to Leopard for a few months while waiting for PGP to
    issue a Leopard-compatible version.

    Mac's PGP's WDE (Whole Disk Encryption), unlike the Windows version, is a
    complete joke. Quite simply, there is no encryption possible on your boot
    drive, meaning you can't encrypt your "Macintosh HD". That's completely
    useless!

    However.... PGP does have a much more friendly GUI and is just simpler to
    use in your day-to-day operations than GnuPGP. This is why, non-withstanding
    all the issues with PGP, I sucked everything in and switched to PGP.
    --
    Roberto Franceschetti
    LogSat Software

  5. Re: PGP 9.8 for the MAC

    PGP Corporation is about ot release boot disk support for Mac Whole
    Disk Encryption:
    http://www.pgp.com/products/wholedis...ption/osx.html

  6. Re: PGP 9.8 for the MAC

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:25:53 -0500, Roberto Franceschetti wrote
    (in article ):

    > On 7/15/08 9:51 PM, in article HKWdnRcYN_S8yeDVnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@comcast.com,
    > "1PW" wrote:
    >
    >> Nemo wrote:
    >>> I have been considering buying PGP 9.8 for OSX but the reviews are
    >>> terrible.
    >>>
    >>> Any one in this group have any experience with it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Hud
    >>>

    >> We receive very few comments about Mac OS X and GnuPG. If you try it,
    >> please
    >> let us know what you think. Personally, I have compiled version 2.0.9 for
    >> use
    >> with Linux and I'm happy with it.

    > I've been using PGP 9.7 for several months on Tiger and Leopard, after
    > "upgrading" from GnuPG.
    > PGP's support for the Mac version leaves a lot to be desired. For example,
    > Leopard support was added a loooong time after Lepard was released, I had to
    > posptpone upgrading to Leopard for a few months while waiting for PGP to
    > issue a Leopard-compatible version.
    >
    > Mac's PGP's WDE (Whole Disk Encryption), unlike the Windows version, is a
    > complete joke. Quite simply, there is no encryption possible on your boot
    > drive, meaning you can't encrypt your "Macintosh HD". That's completely
    > useless!
    >
    > However.... PGP does have a much more friendly GUI and is just simpler to
    > use in your day-to-day operations than GnuPGP. This is why, non-withstanding
    > all the issues with PGP, I sucked everything in and switched to PGP.

    Thanks for the information. I see from a later post that whole disk
    encryption is coming out with boot disk support. I will probably wait a
    little linger then to see what other issues shake out.

+ Reply to Thread